Cars parked in cycle lanes, again :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cheers for your suggestions, I'll see what happens. However, I don't know if this will change peoples attitudes towards parking in cycle lanes. Here in Oxford they use cctv to fine car drivers in bus lanes, it would be nice if they could extend this to drivers in cycle lanes.
They have extended those CCTV cars to go around schools to catch parents stopping in the wrong place around schools - I gather it was having a good success rate shortly after they started doing that. And I think they also cover other areas as well here.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I am of the opinion rightly our wrongly that cars can park in or on a cycle lane. Don't think there is any rule against it. May well get corrected by someone more informed than me though. The double yellows are a different matter though.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Try the local council.

A cyclist in Sheffield did this (I can't remember where I read it, sorry) and apparently the parking services dudes blitzed it over the next couple of days...
I asked a parking warden in Leicester what they did about cars in cycle lanes and was disapointed to find that they do nothing whatsoever. They do not even have the capability in their forms and technology to deal with these gits who park in the cycle lanes. This is doubly frustrating as our elected mayor and other council cronies are always crowing about how fantastic they are fro making Leicester a cycling city. It makes me fair sick so it does.

Hi growingvegetables, Rule 140 states "You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation" so signage must state "at all times" or spcify time othrwise it'a an easy loophole and the CPS would most likely not agree to any rosecution under S.5 of the Road Traffic Act, referencing the Highway code.
If it's not signed, contact the highways dept of your LA.

Tony

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I quite understand how you feel. Here in Bristol, supposed 'cycling city', there are even drivers who use off-road shared use mandatory cycle paths as free car parks:

http://bristolcars.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/cycle-path-parking-awards.html

Yep, that really is supposed to be a cycle path!. It staggers me the laziness and sheer arrogance of some car owners who have no concept of respect for others.
Haven't been that direction for a while ... but that whole section is used by cars as a car park - is the shopping car park full that they don't use it or just they can't be bothered. I suppose I should be pleased that they don't feel the need to park right by the door as many motorists do.

Top Bottom