Cars with loud exhausts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
As a lifelong motorcyclist I'd say this is twaddle, there can be no justification for polluting people's lives with noise. Whenever I got a new bike I used to fit a pair of Fiamm diaphram horns and I had reason to be grateful for them quite a few times but that was only momentary noise, not neighbour-disturbing and ear bashing noise.

And yes, how would a driver that's about to pull out on you hear your exhausts?

Well i think you're talking twaddle, its my experience that louder exhausts does make bikers more noticeable to other motorists. This is 40 years of experience of being a car driver and a motorcycle rider.
You may disagree with me on this, but you wont change my mind about it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The proof of the fallacy is in the number of times I've been startled in the car when I'm stationary in traffic and a bike blasts past.

Noise-sensing cameras can't come soon enough. The entire car and bike tuning industry needs controlling because it's out of control. Every Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning we are awoken by the sound of a very loud sports car racing along the nearby A59 between 03.30 and 04.00, absolutely full throttle and no hold barred, from the timing I've come to think it could be a nightclub or restaurant owner going home between Preston and Clitheroe though I don't know the direction of travel. We can hear it for 2-3 minutes in the quiet of the night as the driver revs up after each roundabout or traffic light. We are about a mile away in direct line of sound. I pity the people who live on the actual road.

Smudge

Veteran
If these decibel sensor camera's do happen, and its only a possibility atm. It wont bother me whatsoever, neither will it affect me. I dont have unbaffled exhausts, just those that produce a deeper sound thats louder than really quiet standard cans.
I expect bikers that do have exceptionally loud cans will just ride past these sensors at tickover, then raise the revs when they're past it. Its be much the same way as speed cameras were avoided.

Milzy

Guru
When I was a young boy racer I had a high performance de cat exhaust system from a racing spec manifold. It wasn’t just loud it actually spit flames out of the back.
Now I look back & cringe about what a complete knobber I must have looked. Ohh well, some just never grow up.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are MOT stations supposed to check noise? There was a post by somebody on Singletrack who took his very shonky car for an MOT and was astonished that it passed without even an advisory. He was wondering if he should report the garage. With that level of incompetence around and probably some corruption too it's no surprise dodgy vehicles get passed.

classic33

Leg End Member
In 15yrs of riding and taking bikes to MOT testing, not one has been noise tested.. I even MOT'd a bike with an exhaust lacking a baffle (twice)
What's stopping a similar noise test and limit being introduced here though. Can't be purely the car manufacturers.

Smudge

Veteran
I've not had a bike mot for around 9 years, as i often change bikes before they get to 3 yrs old.
All my bikes in the past have passed mot with aftermarket cans on, as long as they're not marked 'not for road use'. Even if the cans were really loud, they have no decibel meters so can only give an advisory on the certificate. This is why many Harley riders get away with their ultra loud pipes.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I've not had a bike mot for around 9 years, as i often change bikes before they get to 3 yrs old.
All my bikes in the past have passed mot with aftermarket cans on, as long as they're not marked 'not for road use'. Even if the cans were really loud, they have no decibel meters so can only give an advisory on the certificate. This is why many Harley riders get away with their ultra loud pipes.
Many of which, sound like that as standard

Top Bottom