Cars with loud exhausts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have a local couple who each day pick up their grandchild outside the school my grandson goes to. They arrive 20-25 minute early each day to make sure they get the spot right outside the gates they then sit there until the child comes out with the engine running.
This happens so much and is why a lot of schools are putting some form of no stopping around them. But, can`t they see the damage their car is doing to the enviroment and to peoples health ? I am not in an ivory tower, I drive and know my car (petrol 2016) pollutes as well but it does have stop start. When I learnt to drive in 1975 my instructor said " Don`t start the car until you are ready to drive off, don`t leave it running waiting for it to warm up. It will warm up a lot quicker once you are moving ". What has changed in 44 years ? Nothing. Even in cold weather I would not dream of starting the car to defrost the screen and hav`nt done so ever, yet plenty do. Stupid me perhaps. I will leave that for others to decide but at least i feel that I am doing my bit.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
. Speeding? Fine. Overtaking dangerously on the inside? Fine. Close pass? Fine. Going over a zebra crossing when someone's clearly looking to cross? Fine.
You’re far more lenient than I would be, I don’t think any of those things are fine.

D

Deleted member 26715

The problem I see is this little line in there
The noise level deemed to be inappropriate is yet to be decided.
The car manufacturers are a huge lobby, they will tie this up in knots, I know they don't normally provide standard cars with loud exhausts, but some of them do once the revs & speed get up. They will try to make it x decibels at x speed at x distance, making it very difficult to implement.

D

Deleted member 26715

Awesome cars which is why it will be difficult to legislate, I think the only logical way will be for all new cars to be tested then introduce a law that says the exhaust of this model at x rpm cannot be more than y decibels louder. Once we are all driving scaletrix anyway it will be mute, just like the cars so they will be adding noise back in as the death rate soars due to pedestrians being run over.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
It does make a difference, motorcyclists and cyclists come to that, are often not seen by motorists because they dont look properly. A louder exhaust gets their attention.
They often hear you coming before they notice you are there.

As a lifelong motorcyclist I'd say this is twaddle, there can be no justification for polluting people's lives with noise. Whenever I got a new bike I used to fit a pair of Fiamm diaphragm horns and I had reason to be grateful for them quite a few times but that was only momentary noise, not neighbour-disturbing and ear bashing noise.

And yes, how would a driver that's about to pull out on you hear your exhausts?

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
(Cycling) at the bottom of a 3mile climb, say to mate.. "There's a Ducati coming" Sure enough two of them appeared, I could tell roughly where they were due to gear changes and local knowledge. On an average sunday night lying in bed I can hear bikes and cars travelling in all directions, this notion of exhaust noise being behind you and being pointless is absurd. I don't know if loud pipes truly do save lives, in much the same way as any internet helmet debate is inconclusive - I'll have a non-standard exhaust over a quiet OEM one any day of the week, and I'll also wear a helmet as a cyclist.

A driver inside a soundproof glass box with the windows up and radio on is unlikely to be hearing much.. That's the crux

D

Deleted member 26715

A driver inside a soundproof glass box with the windows up and radio on is unlikely to be hearing much.. That's the crux
Correct hence why loud exhausts are worthless other than to annoy

Top Bottom