Cars with loud exhausts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Anyone else remember when the Motorbike noise laws changed and the Police bikes (BMW R100RT) couldn't pass the new noise tests. :laugh:
Don't remember that one but once did a track day at Donnington on a CBR600 track bike, they pulled me off the track & forced me to buy a DB killer from them for £25 when I complained there was a Ducati which was far louder than mine the answer was that's factory fitted so we can't do anything about it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's all part of living in a built up area I'm afraid. There is noise pollution all around; lawnmowers, birds, noisy children. For example, If kids were being noisy outside my house all day and I complained, I might be called a grumpy old git. But someone driving by for 10 seconds with a loud exhaust I don't really mind.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The decibels are inversely linked to penis size.
LOL!...yes, deffo!.

I have noticed some of our fellow powered two-wheel road users with engine noise capable of waking the dead or registering on an earthquake monitor in Patagonia. What is wrong with these people?. A few years ago, I did a NEBOSH course and we discussed safe levels of sound. The litmus test is that if you are 1m away from someone and can't hear them talking, the sound is too loud. I was walking down the street to get some lunch with a work colleague when a bloke on a motorbike went past, deafening both of us so we couldn't hear each other. They need to clamp down on that too.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This comes under the construction and use act and there are offences to cover it.

Making such changes can also invalidate your insurance as well.

Context is everything. A lot of noise in suburbia just sits in the background. Sure you hear people revving their engines, the deep rumble of a big engine, raspy exhausts, DIY, people partying, barbecues etc..

I remember living in the middle of nowhere though and going out on a sunny day to lie on the grass. Just the tweeting of the birds and then the deep rumble of Led Zepp kicked off across the loch 2 miles away. I had to go in.

mustang1

Guru
Agreed, they're a PITA and plod don't have the resources to deal with them.

It's bad enough when the Herberts with 10 year old Golf's do it, but I was in the city centre a couple of weeks ago and a couple of young(ish) lads were driving round and round in an Aston Martin :rolleyes:, clearly holding it in first gear, on and off the throttle while frantically looking around to see what reaction they were getting...

A couple of eggs would have been a reasonable reaction.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Much the same round here,though maybe slightly worse as there's a BMW/AUDI MOT place across the road, so you can imagine the testosterone pumping,penis extension shenanigans happening there. One prat takes this brinze colured BMW there every now and then. The snap crackle and pop noise it makes just to manoeuvre it around is crazy. I've seen this twat mobile parked up on a drive on a 'jam butty' estate in town. I'm just glad I don't live next to the plonker who owns it! As for those horrible Harley Davidsons,i'd crush the lot of 'em and that's with the greaser rider sitting on the saddle!!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Society has dealt very successfully with smoking, where something like 85% of men and 65% of women smoked after the war. I bet if the government spent money on TV and magazine ads using a good agency they could effect a similar change in attitudes to cars as a symbol of machismo.

D

Deleted member 26715

Society has dealt very successfully with smoking, where something like 85% of men and 65% of women smoked after the war. I bet if the government spent money on TV and magazine ads using a good agency they could effect a similar change in attitudes to cars as a symbol of machismo.
giphy.gif

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Possibly one of the most remarkable changes I've seen in society is people picking up their dog's faeces by hand. That came about because the number one complaint to councillors and at MP surgeries was dog dirt in the street. If people complained enough to councillors and MPs, the problem of anti-social noise pollution could be solved at the stroke of a pen. Car-makers never reduced emissions because they wanted to (stand fast VW), but because governments set a limit. If politicians felt there was enough votes at stake, they could legislate for a legal limit of 80db tomorrow and car-makers would comply.

mustang1

Guru
The vast majority of times when I hear in inappropriate sounding car, it's usually modified Corsas or "beginner" cars.

Ps: I love the sound of a lambo/ferrari/porsch. The old non-turbo AMGs sound great but the turbo ones are not bad - except they are too linear in their sound and I prefer a rising crescendo. Old Golf R32 sounds great too but not much of a looker. Non-turbo BMW M3 sounds great but the newer turbo versions sound like their farting as do new Golf R. Audi and Porsche turbocharged models seem to have kept to a reasonably nice sound.

The point is, I usually do not hear those in more expensive cars using sound unnecessarily except this one time I was in Oxford Circus and this plonker was revving his Lambo at the lights and while i like the sound, I felt sorry for the guy who had to make a bunch of noise to attract attention to himself. May I repeat: the plonker.

Top Bottom