Cars with loud exhausts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Just another revenue stream

Smudge

Veteran
Bikers change their exhausts because standard exhausts make a motorcycle sound like a sewing machine. It also saves a fair bit of weight and many bikers believe the louder exhausts make them more noticeable to other motorists. I change the exhaust on my bikes for all of those reasons.
However there is a difference between getting a nice deep sound from a baffled aftermarket exhaust, and people using straight thru pipes with no baffles. The latter just produces a lot of noise that is often an offensive tone.

Smudge

Veteran
That is totally dogs danglies, not that that's the excuse they use, but that it actually works.

It does make a difference, motorcyclists and cyclists come to that, are often not seen by motorists because they dont look properly. A louder exhaust gets their attention.
They often hear you coming before they notice you are there.

D

Deleted member 26715

They often hear you coming before they notice you are there.
You can keep telling yourself that to justify it but it simply isn't true. They are so engrossed in their music, their conversation, the 10 metres in front of their bonnet the noise will make no difference until you overtake them. It will not make them be more observant or drive any different. Motorcycles with loud exhausts are just as antisocial as cars with loud exhausts.

FYI I've been a motorcyclist for over 40 years

Smudge

Veteran
You can keep telling yourself that to justify it but it simply isn't true. They are so engrossed in their music, their conversation, the 10 metres in front of their bonnet the noise will make no difference until you overtake them. It will not make them be more observant or drive any different. Motorcycles with loud exhausts are just as antisocial as cars with loud exhausts.

FYI I've been a motorcyclist for over 40 years

My experience says different. But i guess we're not going to agree on that.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995

Wow. The government are looking to install sound cameras, a bit like speed cameras, which measure the noise from a passing vehicle to crack down on anti social exhaust noise.
Excellent. Assuming they proceed with a will.

I'm disheartened by how often these kinds of discussions get derailed by 'plod too thin on the ground' bemoanings. This country is stuffed to the gills with cctv and related technologies which, given the will, can and sometimes are used to change behaviour. One classic illustration being bus lanes here in London - routinely invaded when introduced, now pretty much religiously avoided. Why? For the simple reason that word got around that if you drive in a bus lane, a few days later a fine chunky enough to hurt drops through your letterbox. Virtually no need for human resources; just using the technology resources that already exist.

When I'm king the first thing I will do is use cctv and related technologies to enforce a zero-tolerance regime on the roads. Speeding? Fine. Overtaking dangerously on the inside? Fine. Close pass? Fine. Going over a zebra crossing when someone's clearly looking to cross? Fine. Just keep nailing the buggers, a ton at a time should do it, until word gets round: they mean it. If I want to drive, I have to do it in a way that's safe & considerate for other people. Or it'll cost me.

byegad

Legendary Member
Just another revenue stream
If it stops the winkers running past our estate sounding like a full F1 race start [in a 30 limit] then great fine them.

The decibels are inversely linked to penis size.
Silly me, then there was me thinking it was linked to the size of the bonnet, well it was years ago. Ford Capri, E-Type Jag springs to mind. Honestly though, I`d rather have one of those unaltered than any of the crap with loud exhausts any day.

Excellent. Assuming they proceed with a will.

I'm disheartened by how often these kinds of discussions get derailed by 'plod too thin on the ground' bemoanings. This country is stuffed to the gills with cctv and related technologies which, given the will, can and sometimes are used to change behaviour. One classic illustration being bus lanes here in London - routinely invaded when introduced, now pretty much religiously avoided. Why? For the simple reason that word got around that if you drive in a bus lane, a few days later a fine chunky enough to hurt drops through your letterbox. Virtually no need for human resources; just using the technology resources that already exist.

When I'm king the first thing I will do is use cctv and related technologies to enforce a zero-tolerance regime on the roads. Speeding? Fine. Overtaking dangerously on the inside? Fine. Close pass? Fine. Going over a zebra crossing when someone's clearly looking to cross? Fine. Just keep nailing the buggers, a ton at a time should do it, until word gets round: they mean it. If I want to drive, I have to do it in a way that's safe & considerate for other people. Or it'll cost me.
You left one fine worthy nuisance out..... Engines left running for no good reason ie. waiting for someone at a cash machine or even in a car park texting of phoning or whatever. They go on about pollution but do these kind of people really care ? 0 mpg with usually 1 in the car. £200 fine should do it nicely. Not sure how to police that one except it just has to be made socially unacceptable.

D

Deleted member 26715

My experience says different. But i guess we're not going to agree on that.
Well we agree on that, unfortunately your theory has a fundamental flaw, you can't hear the noise until the bike has passed you, logically if you wanted them to hear you coming you'd mount your exhausts facing forward.

D

Deleted member 26715

You left one fine worthy nuisance out..... Engines left running for no good reason ie. waiting for someone at a cash machine or even in a car park texting of phoning or whatever. They go on about pollution but do these kind of people really care ? 0 mpg with usually 1 in the car. £200 fine should do it nicely. Not sure how to police that one except it just has to be made socially unacceptable.
We have a local couple who each day pick up their grandchild outside the school my grandson goes to. They arrive 20-25 minute early each day to make sure they get the spot right outside the gates they then sit there until the child comes out with the engine running.

Smudge

Veteran
Well we agree on that, unfortunately your theory has a fundamental flaw, you can't hear the noise until the bike has passed you, logically if you wanted them to hear you coming you'd mount your exhausts facing forward.

Well i drive a car as well.... and motorcycles that come up behind me are far more noticable if they have an aftermarket exhaust.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
First & foremost I am a certified petrolhead, but I totally agree with you about the noise, but there is no law against it, just like having the stereo turned up with the boom boom boom
Back in the 90s when i was involved in the free party scene, our DJ got issued with a noise injunction order... so there are ways to prevent people from making antisocial noise

Top Bottom