Cartridge and press fit bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
Might be a daft question, what is the difference between a cartridge and press fit bottom bracket, are there advantages or disadvantages with either.
Cheers Alex

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are different types, three main types, but many different versions.

Square taper 'cartridge' BB's are usually for older chainsets, or lower end chainsets - my bikes are old so 3 run on cartridge BB's.

You've then got external cups, mainly SRAM GXP & DUB and Shimano Hollowtech II - these are the better options of the newer BB's - easy to service, and cheap to replace. Shimano better than SRAM (I have a SRAM GXP).

Then press fit where the bearing is pressed into the frame - pro's and cons but can lead to creaks if not fitted properly, and potential for frame wear. Many manufacturers going back to external BB's.

Personally, if you've got a modern bike, or are planning to, external cups are better for longevity/less problems.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are adaptor bottom brackets for most press fit setups.

These have a threaded sleeve which screws together creating a solid pipe. Then bearings are pressed into these ends. The advantage is the cups are machined to a much higher standard, making bearings fit properly.

I've replaced all my press fit with these adaptors.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Square taper cartridge BBs are almost indistructable. The Shimano one in my MTB must be 10yrs old and is still going strong and that one gets hammered on every ride.
My experience of the Hollowtech II system has been disappointing with replacement being required almost annually, usually below the 3000 mile point, and this is on road bikes. Even my best bike which has a Praxis press fit conversion isn't much better, but at least the bearings are easily replaced.
Whatever Shimano did to those UN55 cartridge BBs works. The more modern systems may be lighter, but the bearings and seals just aren't a patch on the predecessor.

kingspirit

The one thing i know is that the press fit bottom brackets is prone to creaking.

Whatever Shimano did to those UN55 cartridge BBs works.
Re my other thread, they have of course discontinued the things - can't be having stuff lasting that long.
They have to be fair introduced a new square taper, though I have no idea how it stacks up against the UN55.
I don't suppose anyone has taken one apart or yet had the opportunity to do a long-term, like 10 years, test.

Square taper cartridge. First of the 3 types
ah - can't really understand why you leapt to the defence of the external system so quickly then.
I do have one with external bearings (I would have specced the bike differently if I'd really understood things at that time) but it has done very few miles (I don't live with it) so can't really judge it. But I have read lots of bad stuff, as in @I like Skol 's take above. First sign of real trouble and the thing is coming off to be replaced by a matching Deore square taper chainset I bought second-hand. I can just swap the chainrings over.

I can confirm the sturdiness of square taper cartridge bottom brackets. I've got it on my gravel bike and it's never given me any issues. I foresee it taking weekly beatings for many winters to come

OP
OP
A

Amac

hi guys,
Thanks for the info, I was asking for two small reasons.
Firstly, I was looking at the spec of two bikes that should come into stock in the next few weeks, one was cartridge and the other press fit.
Secondly last year I had some "clanking" from what I thought was the bottom bracket on my Marin hybrid, so I had it changed last year, its not an expensive bike at all, so I guess a press fit. But it still has an intermittent clank, and I was just trying to get my head around the different types.
Cheers Alex

If after a couple of years of all weather use, you get a problem with a Square Taper cartridge system you need to urgently replace the cartridge within the next few thousand miles.
It is odd that BB went to external cups just after headsets abandoned them. Since ST there have been quite a few different standards that try to incorporate hollow axles with smaller bearings. They cannot match the old standard for fit and forget everday use.

Top Bottom