Cartridge and press fit bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi guys,
Might be a daft question, what is the difference between a cartridge and press fit bottom bracket, are there advantages or disadvantages with either.
Cheers Alex
You’ve really opened a can of worms here Alex.

All you need to know is that one day the devil sat down with the technicians at Cannondale and like Charlie Daniels they agreed to sell their souls, not for a golden fiddle but for a new BB system. Avoid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I’m still using a UN 71 , UN 91 ? never knew they existed.

Yep, it was the XTR/Dura Ace cartridge. I don't think they were sold for long. UN71 was Ultegra. From what I can remember, the UN91 was something like £60 over 25 years ago. I swapped out the Dura Ace loose bearing BB

Silly money but it was on my best bike. That bike was no money spared. Top everything. Despite it being all Dura Ace, it does have Campag Record look pedals as Dura Ace wasn't ARC (float). Those pedals cost £130 used.:ohmy:

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view, any thing after square tapper is a solution to a problem that did not exist and has created its own set of problems.

Press fit BBs can be great but only if the bike frame is %100 sadly not the case in many bikes more so with carbon frames.

Some Manufactures are reverting to threaded BBs because of the problems caused by poor production processes that leave the BB alignment out far enough to cause either noises or poor bearing life.

Which one is best? Like asking how long is a piece of string my own view is Unless you are a professional racer a square tapper is all you need, but an external set up more so a press fit is just a bit lighter and stiffer and if the bike frame is %100 (sadly not always the case) then the more up to date the version the better.

byegad

Legendary Member
Square taper cartridge BBs are almost indistructable. The Shimano one in my MTB must be 10yrs old and is still going strong and that one gets hammered on every ride.
My experience of the Hollowtech II system has been disappointing with replacement being required almost annually, usually below the 3000 mile point, and this is on road bikes. Even my best bike which has a Praxis press fit conversion isn't much better, but at least the bearings are easily replaced.
Whatever Shimano did to those UN55 cartridge BBs works. The more modern systems may be lighter, but the bearings and seals just aren't a patch on the predecessor.
Yes, my Hollowtech II last about that long.

raggydoll

Über Member
I've never had a press fit bottom bracket but from reading about issues with creaking etc it would put me off buying a bike with one.
As I say I've never had one and I'm sure loads of people have them and have no issues and I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet!:ohmy:

Anyone with experience of press fit bottom brackets?
Is the bad press justified?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Square taper has one big disadvantage: chainline is "suck it and see" dependent on manufacturing tolerances, taper wear and crankbolt torque. I have many pairs of Sugino XD2 cranks, and the chainline varies by 4mm on the same BB.

davidphilips

Veteran
[/QUOTE]

Have cycled many thousands of miles with a Genesis 931 steel bike fitted with a press fit BB (bought the frame and built the bike myself and fitted a cheap Shimano BB) and have not had any noises or problems but theres one cyclist in the same club as myself who has a BB86 (same BB as mine) press fit in his good/summer bike and hes told me that hes lucky to get 1,500 miles with out needing to replace the BB no mater what type/make of BB he has fitted?

Quite outrageous really as when we worked out the average club run at 50 miles and it costs over £3 every time he uses his good bike in BBs?

raggydoll

Über Member

Have cycled many thousands of miles with a Genesis 931 steel bike fitted with a press fit BB (bought the frame and built the bike myself and fitted a cheap Shimano BB) and have not had any noises or problems but theres one cyclist in the same club as myself who has a BB86 (same BB as mine) press fit in his good/summer bike and hes told me that hes lucky to get 1,500 miles with out needing to replace the BB no mater what type/make of BB he has fitted?

Quite outrageous really as when we worked out the average club run at 50 miles and it costs over £3 every time he uses his good bike in BBs?
[/QUOTE]

I reckon I'd be getting rid of that bike. I couldn't be doing with replacing a BB every 1500 miles!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Yep, it was the XTR/Dura Ace cartridge. I don't think they were sold for long. UN71 was Ultegra. From what I can remember, the UN91 was something like £60 over 25 years ago. I swapped out the Dura Ace loose bearing BB

Silly money but it was on my best bike. That bike was no money spared. Top everything. Despite it being all Dura Ace, it does have Campag Record look pedals as Dura Ace wasn't ARC (float). Those pedals cost £130 used.:ohmy:
I brought a Dura Ace loose bearing B/B out of retirement last year, it seemed appropriate for the revival of my Raleigh 531 competition . When I put it in , I thought it’s 25 years since I last fitted an old style cup and cone B/B.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some stats. Just 3 data points ...

My BB just died. It's a Shimano external one BBRS500.

I posted above that I'd never had problems, but I just reminded myself by going back to my maintenance log. It was not correct, I was forgetting the death of my SRAM GXP one.

Here is my experience of screw-in external BBs since I bought my fancy modern bike and started keeping records

SRAM GXP - seized solid after only 2,625 km (1,631 miles)
Something else (I forget what - think it was another SRAM GXP) Lasted fine for 18,690 km (11,613 miles) . Replaced while doing other stuff.
Shimano BBRS500 Went totally wobbly and grindy after 8,348 km (5,187 miles)

That's not actually very good really. Not terribly bad either (apart from the first one which was obviously crap) but hardly fit'n'forget.

Top Bottom