Cash only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Cash means you don't have to pay PayPal fees on top of everything else. We ask for it on all our sales, but then they are only up to about £50.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The thing that would worry me is that they have only sold one item, and not bought any. That item was also sold only a few days ago. That item was also bought from someone else in a 15mile radius. Could have easily been a bogus sale.

gaz said:
The thing that would worry me is that they have only sold one item, and not bought any. That item was also sold only a few days ago. That item was also bought from someone else in a 15mile radius. Could have easily been a bogus sale.

Oh well definately a thief then!

The item he sold was a large item, so 'possibly' advertised as local pick up only.

Not only are you now labeling him as a thief but he is also now a liar.

We use ebay to buy and sell, believe it or not there was a time when we first started ebaying, that we had only sold one item and about 50% of the stuff we have sold is local pick up. Maybe we are criminals too.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
addictfreak said:
Oh well definately a thief then!

The item he sold was a large item, so 'possibly' advertised as local pick up only.

Not only are you now labeling him as a thief but he is also now a liar.

We use ebay to buy and sell, believe it or not there was a time when we first started ebaying, that we had only sold one item and about 50% of the stuff we have sold is local pick up. Maybe we are criminals too.

ooooook ease up slightly. I'm not labelling anyone as a thief or a liar. Just letting the OP know that there are other reasons to be weary.

Is it not a coincidence that the user has only just started using eBay, they have only sold one item and it was a pick up only (yes it was a sofa so hardly going to be delivered, and of course the person that buy's is going to be local) and now they are selling a bike for cash only... not many pictures and no information on milage it's done. No returns as well...

Personally, as an eBay user, i wouldn't buy off this user.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the guys ad. The main detail about he bike is there to read. If theres anything else you need to know just ask!
Many people ask for cash so not a problem there either. As I said a lot of the stuff we still is picked up and I give the buyer a choice of cash or paypal. Most go for the cash option.

Incidentally he is also selling a trek MTB.

He may or may not be legitimate. But he offers pick up in person to what i would presume is his home address. Nothing stopping a prospective (local) buyer asking to view the bike(s). If not happy then walk away.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument here, I was merely curious as I've always been under the impression that the safest and most legit way is to go with paypal, etc.

Annyway, carry on.

The item may well be pulled when the word "cash" is spidered by eBay systems, as technically it is an infringement of rules to accept cash and to not accept PayPal on everything except cars/vehicles. However I wouldn't accept PayPal for a bike at all, unless I was going to deliver it (regardless of how near the buyer lived, it would HAVE to be delivered). And here is why:

Buyer pays by PayPal, payment clears, buyer collects, you leave good feedback, think "job done, bike sold, thouroughly nice buyer, I'm happy"

A week later PayPal emails you "buyer has opened a dispute - item not received"

Your choices are:

• Provide proof of delivery (tracked delivery by an approved courier)
    PayPal will (should) close the case
    But of course - you can't provide this information, so your only other choice is...
  • Tell them (truthfully) that it was collected
    PayPal will refund the buyer and send you an email telling you that you are a bad seller for not providing tracking, the buyer gets their money back

Guvnor

Sheffield_Tiger said:
The item may well be pulled when the word "cash" is spidered by eBay systems, as technically it is an infringement of rules to accept cash and to not accept PayPal on everything except cars/vehicles. However I wouldn't accept PayPal for a bike at all, unless I was going to deliver it (regardless of how near the buyer lived, it would HAVE to be delivered). And here is why:

Buyer pays by PayPal, payment clears, buyer collects, you leave good feedback, think "job done, bike sold, thouroughly nice buyer, I'm happy"

A week later PayPal emails you "buyer has opened a dispute - item not received"

Your choices are:

• Provide proof of delivery (tracked delivery by an approved courier)
    PayPal will (should) close the case
    But of course - you can't provide this information, so your only other choice is...
  • Tell them (truthfully) that it was collected
    PayPal will refund the buyer and send you an email telling you that you are a bad seller for not providing tracking, the buyer gets their money back

AND, you have to pay the money back to paypal that they have paid back to them. Paypal is a complete waste of time if your a seller as you get no protection from this sort of thing at all, believe me, i speak from experiance. Also do a search under google, you will see that this sort of crap happens all the time. I wouldn't touch paypal with a very very very long barge pole!

rant over, you may continue:biggrin:

redjedi

Über Member
gaz said:
ooooook ease up slightly. I'm not labelling anyone as a thief or a liar. Just letting the OP know that there are other reasons to be weary.

Is it not a coincidence that the user has only just started using eBay, they have only sold one item and it was a pick up only (yes it was a sofa so hardly going to be delivered, and of course the person that buy's is going to be local) and now they are selling a bike for cash only... not many pictures and no information on milage it's done. No returns as well...

Personally, as an eBay user, i wouldn't buy off this user.

Looks legit to me.

He's given up road riding to become a couch potato ;)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Mad Doug Biker said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument here, I was merely curious as I've always been under the impression that the safest and most legit way is to go with paypal, etc.

Annyway, carry on.

Yeah right, you've got them hooked and now you're munching popcorn on your new sofa:biggrin:

Top Bottom