Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Rightly sacked.
In my view, appallingly handled and she should not have been sacked.

Drago

Legendary Member
No dishonesty, no use or threats of violence, no gross insubordination, no theft, no use of illicit substances, no gross violation of H&S regulations, so I can't see where it qualified as a gross misconduct.

Certainly an issue regarding internal instructions and procedures for management to address, but the lawful threshold for gross misconduct is not met.

I'm looking forward to that one playing out in tribunal, because she'll have a lot of cash to spend on her debit card after that.

Rightly sacked.

Ah, you are the proprietor of the bakery, and ICMFP before the tribunal judge orders you to hand it over to this lady.

Drago

Legendary Member
Is there any creditable evidence of Covid transmission via coins or bank notes ?

Unless there is a "history" with this employee, seems to me, she has been harshly and unreasonably treated.
No. The risk is theoretical, but actual observable examples remain very elusive. The CDC and our NHS have a changed their tack on covid and fomites this year, but ill let you do your own reading and draw your own conclusions.

In any case, from the way the lady tells it she had set up her own little system to avoid contact.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
No. The risk is theoretical, but actual observable examples remain very elusive. The CDC and our NHS have a changed their tack on covid and fomites this year, but ill let you do your own reading and draw your own conclusions.

In any case, from the way the lady tells it she had set up her own little system to avoid contact.

As I say, she would appear to have been treated harshly.... but.... if we all circumvent "the rules" by setting up "our own little system" I doubt that would end well.

Fortunately, we live in a country where the lady in question has a way to challenge the decision (ie an Employment Tribunal).

Gunk

Guru
It does seem unnecessarily harsh based on the reported facts, but we don’t know if she had a previous poor disciplinary record.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Surely the work just shifts about. Instead of employing cashiers in local branches, they employ people to staff telephones, maintain websites and whatever else it takes to run remote banking.
I think this is probbaly the case. I've noticed in the last 2 years my banking app has vastly improved. Transfers go through instantly now, rather than in "up to 24 hours" like they used to. I also get notifications when any money goes into or out of my current or savings account. Again, something that didn't happen a year ago. And as for tracking what we're doing? I have no worries about that, as I have nothing to hide. The only thing that could go wrong I suppose is if the wrong person gets hold of that data and can strengthen their chances of cloning your identity or stealing your money. But I trust (as much as anyone can) the banking security a lot. I changed phones a while ago and couldn't remember my login details (a password AND a memorable number). I tried guessing and it locked me out, so they sent a new card. That, for me, shows that the system works well

Is there any creditable evidence of Covid transmission via coins or bank notes ?

Unless there is a "history" with this employee, seems to me, she has been harshly and unreasonably treated.
I'm sure the business will have lost trade due to the sacking here. It seems very harsh unless there's more to the story.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Up to Saturday morning when I needed exactly 2.50 to pay for a ferry on the Manc-Blackpool FNRttC, I’ve not used or even carried cash since lockdown 1 in March last year.
For me, the most direct benefit is that I’m longer tempted to drop into a sweetshop to spend 80-90p on a bar of chocolate or a bag of crisps on the way to or from work almost daily.

Top Bottom