Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Never seen faceid being used in a shop.
Is that because everyone was wearing masks?

dodgy

Not in my experience. My phone is normally locked. I unlock it, normally while items are being rung up, then present it and it authorises, even a minute or two after unlocking it.
I’ve not seen that behaviour. I would expect you’re on Android. There are many implementation variations across the plethora of handset manufacturers. With Apple at least, it’s much more strict than what you’re seeing.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not in my experience. My phone is normally locked. I unlock it, normally while items are being rung up, then present it and it authorises, even a minute or two after unlocking it.
Same, or you can immediately lock it by pressing the power button, or at least you can on mine

Phone payment is safer than contactless card payment. I wonder what all those ne'er do wells are up to now that you can't mug people for cash as they don't have any and pubs, shops etc are holding far less cash than they used to. You can mug me for my contactless card but I can immediately block it.

Once you use reasonable security measures (like using a phone so there is pin, fingerprint etc access), electronic payment is safer in society than cash

Gunk

Guru
One of huge advantages of living in the UK is the opportunity we have to be anonymous and live off grid, there is no requirement to carry any ID, however a completely cashless society will make it mandatory to carry at least a bank card which will leave an indelible trail of your personal expenditure and movements.

I personally don’t want to live off grid, but I would like to reserve the right to if I pleased.

classic33

Leg End Member
Does anyone with a phone truly believe that they are untracked?
Don't turn it on.

I'll be back to cash by the end of this year. With only the odd transaction with card.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
One of huge advantages of living in the UK is the opportunity we have to be anonymous and live off grid, there is no requirement to carry any ID, however a completely cashless society will make it mandatory to carry at least a bank card which will leave an indelible trail of your personal expenditure and movements.

I personally don’t want to live off grid, but I would like to reserve the right to if I pleased.
W'd have to get rid of vehicles requiring MOTs and insurance and our driving licences and mobile phones so practicalities would make us all traceable somewhere.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does anyone with a phone truly believe that they are untracked?
I work for a tech company and one of my previous roles was dealing with tracked locations from phones - more than 15 billion locations every day. Yes if you have a phone you are tracked, but honestly although I could track a particular handset over a period of time which varied based on manufacturer and country, but on Average about 15 minutes before the identification code changed, I had 15 billion points daily to worry about so the value of the data is in the mass of data not what individuals are up to. So yes, the phone is tracked and I am sure the authorities have the full access to all the entire set of data, I feel safe due to the obscurity of my data in a ridiculously huge data set. I am less concerned about what the authorities can get up to for me personally compared to what companies can do. Certainly, I could think of multiple methods to deanonymise the data we purchased and think of what we could do with that, so I am sure many other people have actually done it.

I work for a tech company and one of my previous roles was dealing with tracked locations from phones - more than 15 billion locations every day. Yes if you have a phone you are tracked, but honestly although I could track a particular handset over a period of time which varied based on manufacturer and country, but on Average about 15 minutes before the identification code changed, I had 15 billion points daily to worry about so the value of the data is in the mass of data not what individuals are up to. So yes, the phone is tracked and I am sure the authorities have the full access to all the entire set of data, I feel safe due to the obscurity of my data in a ridiculously huge data set. I am less concerned about what the authorities can get up to for me personally compared to what companies can do. Certainly, I could think of multiple methods to deanonymise the data we purchased and think of what we could do with that, so I am sure many other people have actually done it.
There is chap that is full-on when it comes to riding bike for fitness with training programs on his Garmin / Strava. One one occasion, data privacy cropped up about enabling his phone to make payment. His makes his Strava data public and does not even use the home proximity feature. He has an active FB account with holiday photos and provides details about his other personal and family activities.

Many of us are like that. We can't connect the dots. Despite the NHS data privacy FAQ making it clear and that it to be used for R&D etc, people struggle with it. Fully against selling it to commercial and Insurance lot but some of the comments does show people struggle with it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Nearly got caught out by cashless only today. Forgot my wallet and needed lunch but remembered the secret £10 squirrelled away in my pannier for just such an event. Tried Two cafes that were card only! Fortunately Spar still took cash. Think my back up might have to be google pay or something in the future :sad:

Top Bottom