Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've been in Vancouver for nearly a week. Not used cash once. I have not even seen a Canadian note or coin - my wife has the small stash left over from our visit 4 years ago.

Two daughters who live here never carry cash.

Nearly got caught out by cashless only today. Forgot my wallet and needed lunch but remembered the secret £10 squirrelled away in my pannier for just such an event. Tried Two cafes that were card only! Fortunately Spar still took cash. Think my back up might have to be google pay or something in the future :sad:

Cash is still very much in use over here with a couple of stores who tried to go cashless being informed they can't. Banking over here is decades behind the UK. Only recently have I seen contactless in the local super market, and every now and then I still get stuck behind someone filling out a cheque. For a for years, up to 2019, I would routinely p!ss of check out staff in the UK when I travelled home with a US credit card. No chip, no pin and yes I need to swipe it and sign something. They would spend ages looking for the chip and be stunned to discover nowt.

So I can't cashless being a thing in the US for a while.

400ixl

The vulnerability is only for a specific circumstance that you have to have opted into, which reduced the security level anyway. Probably the only people who would have done this are those using the Underground daily and don't want to have to unlock the phone when they want to tap in / out. This is no less vulnerable that having your contactless card outside of an RFID blocking wallet (which is most people). The issue is that they can go above the limit of contactless.

Just remove the travel express opt in and the vulnerability is gone. Apple Pay, Samsung Pay and Google Pay are all more secure than using contactless provided you don't use this feature on Apple Pay. It isn't the reason some banks are changing from Visa to Mastercard.

Some banks do also allow you to switch off functions of debit / credit cards. For example with Starling you can switch off contactless, the ability to swipe, to use in a cashpoint, use online etc within the app pretty much instantly. If you are totally paranoid then this is a good option for you.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've been in Vancouver for nearly a week. Not used cash once. I have not even seen a Canadian note or coin - my wife has the small stash left over from our visit 4 years ago.

Two daughters who live here never carry cash.
Vancouver is at the sharp end of financial innovation. A decentralised finance business I work with is based there.
It's interesting that just across the border it's like going back in time with people using cash and, I really can't imagine anything much less "Defi", cheques:ohmy:

My wife lost her purse yesterday and was able to go to the bank and get our credit cards cancelled once she discovered it was missing .
What would happen in a similar situation if a handbag and mobile phone were stolen and there wasn't a bank nearby ? :ohmy:

400ixl

For a good number of people they would just block the cards in their online banking or god forbid just call their bank and do it that way. For the phone, set up correctly it could be remote wiped, or most likely it would be done by the finder getting the authentication wrong or doing it to resell it.

The last place I would want to have to go for this is a physical bank branch.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have been trying to get tickets for Albert Lee and there is no cash option even visiting the box office in person! Very irritating in the extreme.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My wife lost her purse yesterday and was able to go to the bank and get our credit cards cancelled once she discovered it was missing .
What would happen in a similar situation if a handbag and mobile phone were stolen and there wasn't a bank nearby ? :ohmy:

And if she didn't happen to be near a bank?

Went to the local market yesterday for some stuff
very few shops had any payment method other than cash
went to a few small shops on the high street and several have a sign in the window saying cash only

ALl the big shops and high volume places (like most takeaways) take cards - but many still don't
Although quite a few started due to pandemic fears - they found people preferred not using cash others had handled

maybe we are just backward!!!!

Top Bottom