Cashless society......problem for many.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Our local NCP car park is app payment only.
The if you Park on the ground level or even the 1st level, you are under many tons of concrete and cannot get a signal.
Most people seem to park on the top level, or they have to go out onto the pavement to get a signal.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My local bakers only take cash - its very quaint and the bread is very good.

presta

Guru
No coin release at my local one. Asda and Waitrose neither which are both edge of town centre and you would expect to need a coin. Asda did try it briefly but gave in as people went elsewhere as already you needed a £1 coin to park which they refunded
Have stopped that now as well.
Sainsbury's use a coin, Tesco have trolley castors that lock if you take them off the premises, both in the centre of town. Tesco on the edge of town has nothing.

Mike_P

Guru
Asda are meant to have the locking trolley castors but given how far away they get obviously not wholly effective. Noticed one in the bike shed at work last week obviously having been repurposed for carting building materials about. They have finally accepted it's dead easy to break into the bike shed as the upward ground level outside makes it easy for someone to get in through the opening just below the eaves. The locked door is released by a push button from the inside. One colleague left his bike there over a weekend and found it to have vanished on the Monday.

Sainsbury's use a coin, Tesco have trolley castors that lock if you take them off the premises, both in the centre of town. Tesco on the edge of town has nothing.

Our Tesco uses a pound - ASDA you need a pound for shallow trolleys but the bigger ones are "free" - neither will go up the ramp to get out of the car park - but can be wheeled out through the car entrance

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
B&M trolleys only take a £1 coin. Tokens jam.
Most trollies are £1/Token/Euro compatible, I reckon.

gbb

Legendary Member
Classic example of how you're going to have problems with going cashless...
2 weeks ago I lost my card at work, hey-ho, cancelled it promptly and waited for a new card to arrive. We have a joint account so my wife still can pay stuff, get cash etc etc.
2 days later,, before my replacement card arrived, her card was scanned online, someone using her details ( I have no idea how this actually works) so the bank shut her card off once they confirmed with her it was a scam.
Now, we have no access to cash, no way to pay anything for a few days. Luckily I always have maybe£200 or so in cash stashed so it wasn't a disaster, but it was very frustrating.
Weird things happen, I'd never lost a card or had a problem in 45 years of banking, the minute I do, it was
almost immediately made 20 times worse by my wife's card issue.
We have decided to start keeping a few hundred quid at home as a contingency . It's highly unlikely to happen again, but had I not had that little stash i wouldn't have even been able to buy a 20p coffee at work, let alone the serious stuff.

It's (cashless) all very wel and convenient...until it goes wrong.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Classic example of how you're going to have problems with going cashless...
2 weeks ago I lost my card at work, hey-ho, cancelled it promptly and waited for a new card to arrive. We have a joint account so my wife still can pay stuff, get cash etc etc.
I'd rather have a 2nd (or 3rd) payment card than have to rely on others for money.
Many banks allow you to use a 'virtual card' for online payments, so it needn't mean carrying another bit of plastic.
Google Pay seems another good option.

Although a friend managed to pay the wrong bill recently by gesticulating enthusiastically with her phone in hand; the waitress was trying to get payment from someone else at the table! I tend to switch off Google Pay until I specifically need it.

2 days later,, before my replacement card arrived, her card was scanned online, someone using her details ( I have no idea how this actually works) so the bank shut her card off once they confirmed with her it was a scam.
Now, we have no access to cash, no way to pay anything for a few days. Luckily I always have maybe£200 or so in cash stashed so it wasn't a disaster, but it was very frustrating.
It's a pretty rare situation to both be out of luck like that. Having spare cash is the answer; I remember Nat West had an emergency withdrawal option you could use at their ATMs even without a card, so presumably other banks have similar?

Weird things happen, I'd never lost a card or had a problem in 45 years of banking, the minute I do, it was
almost immediately made 20 times worse by my wife's card issue.
We have decided to start keeping a few hundred quid at home as a contingency . It's highly unlikely to happen again, but had I not had that little stash i wouldn't have even been able to buy a 20p coffee at work, let alone the serious stuff.

It's (cashless) all very wel and convenient...until it goes wrong.
Always have some spare cash anyway, as a few places won't accept plastic. I screwed up recently by not taking cash or card on a bike ride, and was very upset to not have the option of an ice-cream. That's why I enabled Google Pay on my phone.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have about 6 credit/debit cards currently (a couple of new interest free CCs which I have used to pay for a new roof unexpectedly!) :blush:
The slight issue is I tend to have all in one purse but I do have Apple Pay which I don’t use offline.
Cash, last used to pay for a taxi from airport on Saturday. Don’t think used any since

Top Bottom