Cassette advice for Fred Whitton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
hey guys,

I’m toying with the idea of buying a 34 cassette. I’ve heard you can get SRAM 36t compatable to the road bike. I under I’ll need a medium cage mech and new chain or add links. Where can I buy a 36 from?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The problem is swapping out bits back and fourth. I might just try to manage with a 32t.

huwsparky

Über Member
The problem is swapping out bits back and fourth. I might just try to manage with a 32t.
If you have a 32t and a compact chainset that's a pretty good combo IMO, don't bother spending any more money. I'd say about 70% at least will be walking Hardknott and Wrynose anyway so if you do have to get off you certainly won't be on your own.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
If you have a 32t and a compact chainset that's a pretty good combo IMO, don't bother spending any more money. I'd say about 70% at least will be walking Hardknott and Wrynose anyway so if you do have to get off you certainly won't be on your own.
lol no way am I getting off.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
lol no way am I getting off.

The last twisty stretch at the top of Hardknott is very steep. If you were seriously contemplating a 36 cassette then you might struggle with a 32 out back.

FWIW I don't think I could do it even with 32 x 36. :sad:

Pretty sure the medium cage GS RD won't cope with a 36 cassette and 50/34 - not an expert on these things though.

Top Bottom