Cassette compatibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willam

I have a 11-42 shimano cassette 10speed, need a new one but none available anywhere, can I change to any other 10 speed cassette, I'll be changing the chain at the same time, the rear mech is a long cage, will I need to keep the new cassette to a certain size to accommodate the longer cage?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
any 10 speed Shimano or SRAM / shimano compatible cassette will be fine (but not Campag). your long cage is fine, its going the other way (adding larger sprockets and over stretching a short cage you need to worry about. Cleary if you go for 11-25 you'll have lost a load of low gears but that is stating the obvious. good luck hunting stock down...

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

any 10 speed Shimano or SRAM / shimano compatible cassette will be fine (but not Campag). your long cage is fine, its going the other way (adding larger sprockets and over stretching a short cage you need to worry about. Cleary if you go for 11-25 you'll have lost a load of low gears but that is stating the obvious. good luck hunting stock down...

Great cheers for that answer.

yeah unbelievable, I had one of those government vouchers, went into Halfords to spend it, they didn't have any stock of anything I needed, ended up just getting a spare mech.

vickster

Legendary Member
Great cheers for that answer.

yeah unbelievable, I had one of those government vouchers, went into Halfords to spend it, they didn't have any stock of anything I needed, ended up just getting a spare mech.
Aren't those meant to be used for maintenance not free spare just in case parts? :wacko:

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Aren't those meant to be used for maintenance not free parts? :wacko:

They were meant to replace parts that need it and maintenance, I'll be replacing it when I source the rest of the drivetrain, as it all needs replacing, I wasn't going to replace a new mech on a knackered drivetrain, the mechanic agreed best to replace all at the same time, as he couldn't provide any of the other parts he agreed to let me fit it when I had the rest of the parts.

Have to say, I wasn't expecting a good experience from Halfords but the mechanic I spoke with was excellent.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve linked a 10 speed sun race cassette for you. Chain should be easy enough. Don’t restrict yourself to Shimano only as above

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

good options there but I'm a little nervous using none shimano...which of those links would you say was the better option, I use the bike for daily commuting, it's a 1x drivetrain not sure if that makes a difference, the odd small hill.

vickster

Legendary Member
good options there but I'm a little nervous using none shimano...which of those links would you say was the better option, I use the bike for daily commuting, it's a 1x drivetrain not sure if that makes a difference, the odd small hill.
Why? A branded cassette is a cassette and a chain is pretty much a chain. The manufacturer just happened to stick Shimano on, as above there's lots of cross compatibility (very useful in a post-Brexit pandemic!!). Doesn't sound like you have a choice (unless there's something on eBay or you want to order from abroad)

My bikes have SRAM shifters, but I use Shimano cassettes as they are generally cheaper, with zero issues. KMC make well regarded chains

T4tomo

Legendary Member
as above, a cassette is a cassette. as long as compatible select on price. Higher price normally means its 6g lighter and wears quicker.

KMC chains are better than shimano ones

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Is the KMC X10 chain a good option? Or would the sram PC 1051 be a better option?

Last edited:
Personally, not used non-Shimano cassettes. Yet. Have invariably changed to KMC chains, they are the business, but as @vickster and others have said, a chain is a chain...
As I'm about to start looking for an 8-speed cassette again, the Sunrace items are looking pretty attractive, and, more to the point, attainable!

Top Bottom