cassette for triple chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi, I have a Shimano Tiagra triple, 50, 39, 30 on the front with an 11-28 cassette on the back.

Is there any reason why I couldn’t have a 30 or 32 tooth on the rear? It might seem a big gear but it is heavy bike for long distance rides and I like to spin fairly briskly.

CXRAndy

Guru
hi, I have a Shimano Tiagra triple, 50, 39, 30 on the front with an 11-28 cassette on the back.

Is there any reason why I couldn’t have a 30 or 32 tooth on the rear? It might seem a big gear but it is heavy bike for long distance rides and I like to spin fairly briskly.

No reason at all:okay:

I have a triple 48/36/26. I usually run 11-32, but swap wheels and have 11-40 cassette for mountain cycling.

Just check chain length

I use Di2 shifting and program combination of gearing to restrict cross chaining
20180929_071807.jpg

C R

Guru

You will need to check the derailleur capacity to see if it can wrap the chain.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shimano derailleur max capacities can usually be run up by few teeth but if it can't handle the bigger gear you can get an extension for a few quid which moves the mech a bit further from the cog.
You'll need a longer chain.

OP
OP
T

Thegreatthor

Über Member
I think I like the idea of dropping the front, 46, 36, 26, I assume I’d need a mountain bike Chainset. Are all the Shimano ones compatible?

the snail

Guru
Chainline is different on a MTB setup, so your front derailleur may not work with MTB crankset. 4703 has the funny 4-arm design, so I think your choice of chainrings is limited I think?

CXRAndy

Guru
I see @CXRAndy has a Deore XT MTB chainset on his road bike above.

I do. I use XTR Di2 front derailleur.

I had to use two spacers on the drive side and a single on the non drive. After a few tests to check shifting, thinned down one of the two drive side spacers by 0.5-1mm to perfectly position the crankset. This fine adjustment eliminated any chain rub at both end of gearing. I only use the 26t ring for 10% gradient s, but it does allow me to stay seated if I want and spin 85rpm+

Top Bottom