Cassette for Turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Mr Claus has generously dropped me off a new Tacx Flux S.

As I understand these things don't come with a cassette, the LBS guy told me that I need to either remove my current cassette from my bike and stick it onto the unit......but as I don't own a chain whip or the correct sprocket wrench etc, is my only option to buy a spare cassette matching the Boardman CX comp ?

Boardman CX Comp is Shimano Sora nine speed, with an FSA Velo 50/34 compact chainset paired with an 11-30 cassette.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Chain whip and sprocket remover are well worth having in the tool box and a good investment. Also a dedicated cassette for the turbo will save a lot of hassle. If the chain is getting a bit worn, you may need to replace the chain as well and that might not work with your existing cassette, so you might be faced with needing a chain and two cassettes!

Good luck

CXRAndy

Guru
You dont have to use same ratios. Obviously you need to use a 9 speed cassette. For convenience I would buy another cassette.

If you're using Zwift or some if the other platform, you can adjust the gradient difficulty- it allows riders to use a wide range of ratios in their setups and still able to maintain a normal cadence range.

Eg I use 53/39 chainrings and a 11-25 cass and can easily ride up Alpe du Zwift at 80rpm

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I wouldn’t go for a wide-ratio cassette, personally. As Andy says, you can turn down the trainer difficulty gradient setting so you don’t need the granny gears.

As a rule of thumb, I usually ride 30% trainer difficulty and am nearly always in 53x17 or 53x16, except when I’m doing erg-controlled workouts, which are in 39x21 so that the power response is more faithful.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

I wouldn’t go for a wide-ratio cassette, personally. As Andy says, you can turn down the trainer difficulty gradient setting so you don’t need the granny gears.

As a rule of thumb, I usually ride 30% trainer difficulty and am nearly always in 53x17 or 53x16, except when I’m doing erg-controlled workouts, which are in 39x21 so that the power response is more faithful.

So is this good to get then?
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...00-alivio-9-speed-cassette-11-34t-730949.html

BTW @Legs : Staffordshire? Anywhere near Stoke?

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Sorry, I didn’t make my point clear enough: something like a 12-25 cassette would be more appropriate because the gaps between gears are smaller. 11-34 is essentially a mountain bike cassette and the jumps between sprockets would be quite big.

I’m in Leigh, about 5 miles west of Uttoxeter.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Sorry, I didn’t make my point clear enough: something like a 12-25 cassette would be more appropriate because the gaps between gears are smaller. 11-34 is essentially a mountain bike cassette and the jumps between sprockets would be quite big.

Half the road signs in the area point to Leigh or Church Leigh.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

swadlincote
:hello:

Top Bottom