Cassette for Turbo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My advice would be to buy an identical cassette for the turbo. I have a Tacx with the roller and use a spare rear wheel, I stupidly bought a cheap aftermarket Campag cassette and it was awful, I replaced it with an identical Chorus 10 speed cassette with identical ratios and it now works a treat.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

I grew up and Cheadle and now live in Stoke
My Dad was a Cheadle man all his life. Keelings Road, spent many a day/night at the South Moorlands Leisure centre !

figbat

Slippery scientist
My advice would be to buy an identical cassette for the turbo. I have a Tacx with the roller and use a spare rear wheel, I stupidly bought a cheap aftermarket Campag cassette and it was awful, I replaced it with an identical Chorus 10 speed cassette with identical ratios and it now works a treat.
I agree. With the same cassette at least you know the chain is the right length.

CXRAndy

Guru
I agree. With the same cassette at least you know the chain is the right length.
Chain length usually only becomes an issue if the user chooses a larger range cassette.

Eg original cassette is 11-32. 2nd cass is 11-25, it will fit with no issues. Only if they use a 11-36 or 11-40 chain length needs to be accounted.

I agree if you're setting your bike on the turbo a new chain, same link count will be beneficial to smooth running

Get the same speed and similar ratios so if you need to you can swap them over. You can go down in the groupset hierarchy if you want.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I wouldn’t go for a wide-ratio cassette, personally. As Andy says, you can turn down the trainer difficulty gradient setting so you don’t need the granny gears.

As a rule of thumb, I usually ride 30% trainer difficulty and am nearly always in 53x17 or 53x16, except when I’m doing erg-controlled workouts, which are in 39x21 so that the power response is more faithful.
I got a JetBlack Volt which came with an 11 speed cassette. As the turbo bike was 9 speed I got a suitable cassette from Decathlon which works well. I was really struggling on the turbo, then read the bit in the manual where it said by default the difficulty level was set to 100% 😁

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Was it you @cyberknight , or are there others out there? (It was structural calcs for a house extension.)
someone esle , there are a few around here although not many related to me

Top Bottom