Cassette guard nessecity?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamhearn

Veteran
But where does it end ?
Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to set my gears correctly so they don't overshoot.
Anyone can have an off/clipless moment/whatever knocking a mech just enough for it do [potentially serious and expensive] damage. If you're always aware of rear mech alignment then good for you.. hope no one accidently knocks into you whilst parked up and forgets to tell you... On a serious note they offer very basic protection nothing more but it's something at least.

Mine made an annoying rattling noise so had to go :laugh:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Ok so I understand indexing and the concept of the limiting screws. The gears are nicely indexed so stop properly at the largest cog. How do I know where the limiting screw stops it at as when in first gear I can’t change to below that to know the limiting screw kicks in?

Even though the shifter can't pull any more cable, you can pull on the exposed bit of inner cable that runs along the chainstay, while turning the cranks slowly. The chain will drop off the large sprocket and into the spokes if the limit screw allows too much travel.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I over-adjust it until I can't select that gear then back it off just enough to allow me to.

That's sound practice, although of course it doesn't remove the need to set the limit screws accurately as well.

IME it's a common misconception that adjusting the shifter so that it can't pull too much cable is what keeps the derailleur out of the spokes.

*** One of my bikes was damaged once too. After this episode I used to unbolt the mech and tape it up inside the frame, to avoid it getting bashed in transit. I think in future I would probably just hire a bike when I got to the resort.
I do the same, after a bent hangar flight.

davidphilips

Veteran
Never fit cassette guards but do fit chain catchers to the front on all my bikes, know some cyclists look down on guards and catchers but in my experience they soon change there minds when they come unstuck or should i say stuck?

Lol SydZ yesterday not far from home i seen some washers on the road, no one about so stopped and lifted them, then just a few hundred yards latter seen a guy i know walking a dog waved to him and herd him shout after me cheeky b+++++++? only when i stopped at home did i think wonder if he thought i had given him a rude sign as i had some washers in my hand?

Its easy for any of us to get offended even when theres no cause.

Jody

Stubborn git
Are you one of these people who gets offended on behalf of others? I really do hope not.

My post is clear and I stand by what I said. If folk want to interpret it in a manner in which it offends them then that says more about them than me.

No. I'm just pointing out why they may have taken offence as your post isn't clear. Did you mean to write "due to you folk" or " due to folk"? "Due you folk" doesn't make sense. You can see how it could be mis-interpreted right?

Jody

Stubborn git
I think the poster may have taken it as "due to you folk" which sounds like you are accusing someone of not knowing what they are doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom