Cassette Making Weird Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi all

Today I noticed that my cassette was making a weird noise when I spin it.

The noise is not noticeable when riding the bike I don't think and it is not causing loss of speed.

It sounds like sand or maybe grit somewhere but I am just guessing.

I cleaned my whole bike today and the noise is still there.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

alicat

Legendary Member
Can you post a video that will let us hear the noise and tell us the cassette make and model?

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Obviously, the clicking noise is normal but the other one with it is not you may need to play it with headphones loud to hear it.

Cassette: Sunrace 8-speed 11-32t

winjim

Smash the cistern
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are some of the sprockets turning and the others not?
I think it's the speed of rotation catching up with the frame rate of the camera.

18mq8jmwoykzmjpg.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@derrick beat me to it!

Sharky

Guru
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are some of the sprockets turning and the others not?
Yes - the eyes and mind can't keep up with the speed of the cassette and makes it look stationery of going backwards.

But did you know that a zebra's stripes make use of this phenomenon. When being chased by tigers etc, the stripes give the illusion that the zebra is going backwards and so confuse the big cats.

rrarider

Veteran
Yes - the eyes and mind can't keep up with the speed of the cassette and makes it look stationery of going backwards.

But did you know that a zebra's stripes make use of this phenomenon. When being chased by tigers etc, the stripes give the illusion that the zebra is going backwards and so confuse the big cats.

I expect that a tiger would be confused if it saw a zebra. Its first thought would probably be "What the hell am I doing in Africa?"

Sharky

Guru
I expect that a tiger would be confused if it saw a zebra. Its first thought would probably be "What the hell am I doing in Africa?"
Or in Knowsley Safari Park.

My old school used to hold it's annual cross-country run through Knowsley Park. Thankfully it was before they made it into a safari park.

Top Bottom