Cassette Ratio's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevey

Guru
Hi all, Hopefully someone can help i have a road bike with 53/39 & 13/29 campag Veloce cassette, the RD is SS.
I am looking at changing the cassette to help my knees any ideas as to what i can put on to help.

Thanks in advance.

si_c

Guru
Hi all, Hopefully someone can help i have a road bike with 53/39 & 13/29 campag Veloce cassette, the RD is SS.
I am looking at changing the cassette to help my knees any ideas as to what i can put on to help.

Thanks in advance.
With Campagnolo you are pretty limited with cassette choice at the low end. A better option might be a change of chainrings - swapping to 50/34 would reduce your lowest gear by 15% whilst only adjusting your top end by 4%.

Edit to add: Just checked 29 is the lowest you can go with 10 speed Campagnolo cassettes - IRD do a 11-32 cassette but it's well over £100.

iluvmybike

Über Member
With it being Campagnolo you are stuck with the max size rear sprocket. But you could look at fitting a compact crankset - but you haven't said what speed you have so choice may be limited. It will also depend on your bottom bracket type..i'd avoid anything power-torque based as they are a mare to maintain - utlra-torque is ok.

OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
With it being Campagnolo you are stuck with the max size rear sprocket. But you could look at fitting a compact crankset - but you haven't said what speed you have so choice may be limited. It will also depend on your bottom bracket type..i'd avoid anything power-torque based as they are a mare to maintain - utlra-torque is ok.
10 speed Groupset is Veloce if thats any use to you

iluvmybike

Über Member
Any 10spd Campagnolo 50/34t compact crankset - but check which bottom bracket you have. If you have power torque it need special tools to remove & refit so might be a shop job
the BCD of your existing rings is prob 135mm and the compact rings are 110mm so you can't just change the rings

Last edited:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
!00% agree with changing the chainrings. Ive got Centaur 53, 39 with a 26 cassette on one of my bikes but 38,48 on another (its a triple actually with a 28 twiddler!), the smaller set up is way more usable. Just check and double check the BCD before you buy.
Too big a cassette and you start getting big jumps in ratio and sometimes less good shifting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
What is the bolt circle diameter BCD of your cranks?
80mm.

Top Bottom