Cassette Ratio's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevey

Guru
Hi all, Hopefully someone can help i have a road bike with 53/39 & 13/29 campag Veloce cassette, the RD is SS.
I am looking at changing the cassette to help my knees any ideas as to what i can put on to help.

Thanks in advance.

si_c

Guru
Hi all, Hopefully someone can help i have a road bike with 53/39 & 13/29 campag Veloce cassette, the RD is SS.
I am looking at changing the cassette to help my knees any ideas as to what i can put on to help.

Thanks in advance.
With Campagnolo you are pretty limited with cassette choice at the low end. A better option might be a change of chainrings - swapping to 50/34 would reduce your lowest gear by 15% whilst only adjusting your top end by 4%.

Edit to add: Just checked 29 is the lowest you can go with 10 speed Campagnolo cassettes - IRD do a 11-32 cassette but it's well over £100.

iluvmybike

Über Member
With it being Campagnolo you are stuck with the max size rear sprocket. But you could look at fitting a compact crankset - but you haven't said what speed you have so choice may be limited. It will also depend on your bottom bracket type..i'd avoid anything power-torque based as they are a mare to maintain - utlra-torque is ok.

OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
With Campagnolo you are pretty limited with cassette choice at the low end. A better option might be a change of chainrings - swapping to 50/34 would reduce your lowest gear by 15% whilst only adjusting your top end by 4%.
Thanks

OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
With it being Campagnolo you are stuck with the max size rear sprocket. But you could look at fitting a compact crankset - but you haven't said what speed you have so choice may be limited. It will also depend on your bottom bracket type..i'd avoid anything power-torque based as they are a mare to maintain - utlra-torque is ok.
10 speed Groupset is Veloce if thats any use to you

iluvmybike

Über Member
Any 10spd Campagnolo 50/34t compact crankset - but check which bottom bracket you have. If you have power torque it need special tools to remove & refit so might be a shop job
the BCD of your existing rings is prob 135mm and the compact rings are 110mm so you can't just change the rings

Last edited:

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
!00% agree with changing the chainrings. Ive got Centaur 53, 39 with a 26 cassette on one of my bikes but 38,48 on another (its a triple actually with a 28 twiddler!), the smaller set up is way more usable. Just check and double check the BCD before you buy.
Too big a cassette and you start getting big jumps in ratio and sometimes less good shifting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
What is the bolt circle diameter BCD of your cranks?
80mm.

OP
OP
stevey

stevey

Guru
According to Sheldon brown between holes is 80mm but the BCD is 130

Last edited:
Top Bottom