Cassette replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

Hi
I'm looking to replace my cassette and was just wondering if I would be able to replace my current cassette, which is a SRAM PG850 11-32 Cassette for a Shimano HG51 8 Speed Cassette 11.32 teeth? If I am able to just swap them out without any problems is the Shimano the better one out of the two? Thank you!

Here are the links to both cassette.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-PG850-11-32-Cassette/202453950245

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-HG...=1565456887&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1&th=1&psc=1

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
From the links it looks like you're swapping a 7 speed for an 8 speed. If your shifters are indexed, it will likely be a 7 speed shifter which will only give you seven indexing places, so you'll only access 7 of the 8 rings on the 8 speed cassette.

You also need to consider that an 8 speed cassette is a little wider than a 7 speed, so unless your current cassette has a spacer on the splines, the 8 speed might not fit on to the hub.

all the above could be wrong... I'm sure someone will correct me :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The cassettes linked both look like 8 speed to me. In which case, yes, the replacement will fit as SRAM and Shimano are compatible with each other. I've used cassettes from both manufacturers and they are much of a muchness in my opinion - they work equally well and wear about the same. The SRAM ones are shinier if that makes a difference.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The cassettes linked both look like 8 speed to me. In which case, yes, the replacement will fit as SRAM and Shimano are compatible with each other. I've used cassettes from both manufacturers and they are much of a muchness in my opinion - they work equally well and wear about the same. The SRAM ones are shinier if that makes a difference.
correct... i stupidly counted the rings on the image in the ebay listing, which shows a 7 speed :blush:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

The gear spacing (number of teeth) differs between the SRAM and Shimano, with up to a 3-tooth difference in a couple of the intermediate gears.

PG850: 11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32

HG51: 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The gear spacing (number of teeth) differs between the SRAM and Shimano, with up to a 3-tooth difference in a couple of the intermediate gears.

PG850: 11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32

HG51: 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32
Ah, excellent point.:thumbsup:

The ones I've used were 11-30 where the ratios are the same for both makes. I should have remembered that as I thought about trying 11-32 some time ago and worked out the difference in gear inches between the cassettes.:blush: (Stayed with the 11-30 at the time)

Out of nosiness I had a look at SRAM's website to see what versions they offer now and I notice that they seem to have changed the ratios on the 11-32 since. Now showing as 11,13,15,17,20,23,26,32: https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cs-pg-850-a1

Top Bottom