cassette wear/chain replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmuk

afternoon all!

I've finally got round to replacing my chain, and, of course, left it too late so a couple of cogs are skipping.

I'm running on 105 with a SRAM 991 cross step chain

so - if I leave it on, will it 'sort itself out and bed down'? or, can I replace just the 2 skippers? or put the old chain back on and replace the whole chainset when it's gone a bit further

or any other options?

advice gladly received!

cheers

MM

If you are lucky it will settle down but in doing so will wear the new chain very quickly to the condition of the old one. Having said that it might never settle.

Depending how many miles you've done if it jumping you'd be better to put the old chain back on for a bit and replace the whole lot in a oner (chain & cassette) but be aware of you leave it too long you not only run the risk of the chain snapping but wear to the chainrings which is even more costly.

Too late now but in future you may want to consider a chain monitor (park tool do one) and replacing the chain before any wear to the cassette has occurred, in that way you could get several chains to one cassette.

Maz

Guru
I would:
Put the old chain back on and let the chain/cassette deteriorate together (or until you can't stand the skipping chain any longer...you could even do what I did and let the chain snap, but not recommended)

then

put a new chain/cassette on at the same time.

I now have a Park chain wear indicator.

As others have said, put the old chain back on and get a new cassette before putting the new chain back on again. From the little bit of skipping you describe, your chainset is fine...but get that cassette and chain sorted before you need to factor in the cost of new chainrings\chainset.

I left it all too long before replacing the chain and ended up having to replace the lot...I'll never make that very expensive error again.

Top Bottom