Cassette Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gummo

As my chain started skipping, I reckoned I should change it - happy enough that it lasted two years. However, on the first ride, the skipping was much worse, so I suspected that the cassette would need replaced also.

I'm a bit perturbed because I had replaced the chainset, chain and cassette at the same time two years ago and I wonder should a cassette not last longer, in spite of my propensity for riding on filty country lanes in search of that Pulitzer prize-winning landscape shot.

Anyway, please have a look at my photos of the cassette, at different stages of rotation and let me know if there's anything glaringly wrong with the teeth.

Gummo

Attachments

• Cassette01.jpg
    Cassette01.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Cassette02.jpg
    Cassette02.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Cassette03.jpg
    Cassette03.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Cassette04.jpg
    Cassette04.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Cassette05.jpg
    Cassette05.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 11

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That cassette is well worn :eek:

How many miles have you covered in those two years? Any idea how long the old chain has grown compared to a new one?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

That cassette is well worn :eek:

How many miles have you covered in those two years? Any idea how long the old chain has grown compared to a new one?

1200 miles according to my app. I don't know about length but my chain-checking tool dramatically confirmed the wear on the old one.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's not always easy to tell if a new chain is going to skip on an old cassette just from looking at it, however the wear is visible in those photos.

You can usually get two or three chains to a cassette if the chain is measured and replaced before the wear gets too bad. If the chain is worn to the point where it is starting to skip then I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to save the cassette.

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

If you change it when it's started skipping I think tye damage has already been done.

1200 miles doesn't seem much at all though. Is the chain cleaned much ?
It isn't cleaned much - I'm a landscape/nature fanatic and it's difficult to keep it as clean as a 'normal' cyclist does.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm not fanatical about chain cleanliness either, just a wipe over to remove the worst if the muck then a squirt of fresh oil, but my chains usually last about 1500 miles before the chain checker tool starts showing 0.75% wear. At this point I replace the chain and it runs ok on the existing cassette. 3-4 chains per cassette.

Last year I had a pair of chains that only lasted 500 miles before reaching 0.75% .
These were KMC exactly the same as previous chains but instead of being tacky/greasy when new they were oily. The chains were otherwise identical and the packaging was definitely genuine. I can only assume that KMC outsourced production due to COVID/production issues and these were just inferior quality compared to the usual factory?

OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

Just seen your post about the chain being a KMC X10. That's the ones I had trouble with. Did you buy from eBay and they arrived in the usual/correct plastic case?
I bought it on Amazon - from Amazon itself. Packaging looked genuine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gummo

Gummo

I don't think I can avoid replacing the cassette - the current one was only £22.99 on Wiggle. Prices have gone up - I can get it on BikeParts for £27.99 but I see quite a few places quoting £38.99.

Top Bottom