casstte Q?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

semaj

I was cleaning my bike the other day, and decided to count the teeth on the rear cogs. I've noticed on this bike I havent been able to climb as fast or sit in top gear on the flat comfortably.

so I counted and saw 12t-23t, which seems pretty small for the big cog?? should i stick with it and get massive quads or get a new casstte, but which ratio?

oh yeh its 9speed shimano tiagra, from a few years ago, maybe 5 or 6.

Chrisz

Über Member
You could replace it with a 12-25 or a 13-25, 13-26 if you feel the need :evil:

Will1985

Über Member
What's on the front? I'm happy with a compact 36x23 as lowest gear but rarely use the 21 or 23. I'd have at least a 25 if it were a standard double.

No harm in experimenting and getting a bigger cassette - if you get a 12-27 you could get away with mix and matching to make a 12-25 if you wanted (assuming individual sprockets on shimano)

Bit concerned that you "sit in top gear on the flat" - sounds like extreme grinding.

OP
OP
S

semaj

Yeh used to be able to sit in top on my old bike, was dissapointed with myself when I couldn't on this one! Just getting back in to it too which doesn't help might wait a few weeks, see if I can cope with it.

Not sure what's on the front tbh, guess I'll chech before I put my hand in my pocket.

Will1985

Über Member
Do you mean that you normally ride in the top gear for most of the time on the flat?

OP
OP
S

semaj

Will1985 said:
Do you mean that you normally ride in the top gear for most of the time on the flat?

used to, cant anymore! spoke to a bloke a while ago who said I should go to a mid range gear, 'cos its better to do more revolutions, now I have to anyway cos I haven't got the legs.

Will1985

Über Member
semaj said:
used to, cant anymore! spoke to a bloke a while ago who said I should go to a mid range gear, 'cos its better to do more revolutions
That's what I was going to say next. Puts less strain on your knees for one thing, plus it gives you a few extra gears for downhill etc...

OP
OP
S

semaj

I'm riding in big front and 3rd biggest now on the flats, or small front and like 6/7th. Using small front feels easier, and big front clicks a bit.

Top Bottom