Castelli Espresso 3 Jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi all has anyone used one of these and how good are they, the reviews look good but what about long term usage. Looking for something to keep me warm.

mattobrien

Guru
Got one, a very good jacket and no signs of wear after a couple of seasons wear. I also have an Alpha jacket which is a bit of a closer fit and I prefer this, but the Espresso is a very good jacket.

You won't regret buying it, but I now have two Alpha jackets and one Espresso, but that's personal preference.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Got one, a very good jacket and no signs of wear after a couple of seasons wear. I also have an Alpha jacket which is a bit of a closer fit and I prefer this, but the Espresso is a very good jacket.

You won't regret buying it, but I now have two Alpha jackets and one Espresso, but that's personal preference.
Which one is warmer?

mattobrien

Guru
They both have the same temperature guide on the castelli site, but if push came to shove, I'd say the Espresso would be the one I'd wear if it were really cold and I had to pick one.

With the way they are constructed, I'd say the Espresso is a touch thicker. To be fair, with the right base layer they'll both be good enough down to zero or below.

If the temperature was the same (low) and I were going for a steady ride with friends I'd go for the Espresso, if I was pushing harder I'd go for the Alpha. I wouldn't wear either above about 8 or 9 degrees, if it were that warm, I'd go for the Alpha jersey, rather than jacket.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I've got an Alpha jersey, wouldn't wear it above 10°C - it's very warm. With a base layer I've worn it in 3°C and been toasty. I wore it on Sunday with a summer base layer, Fawsome vest and was fine in -3.5°C. I am hairy though, might add some extra insulation!!!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
(as an alternative)

Im not so rich so i picked up a Castelli Criterium thermal jersey in the sales.

A good base layer, Criterium jersey & Windchill II jacket has kept me fairly warm in temperatures barely above freezing.

I still feel the chill through my DHB windproof gloves when i go down drops though. So long as youre moving at a decent pace you wont overheat.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I have the trasperante and it's very good. I rode at 1 degree with howling winds withe a ls base, the trasperante and my Dhb Cosmo rain cape. Lovely and warm. It I wouldn't wear it above 8deg even with only a short base layer

Top Bottom