Cat-Calling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
A lady who lives a few doors up the road from me keeps some cats (I've never actually worked out exactly how many she keeps).

On the few occasions that I'm at home and working outside, I've noticed that she opens her door and calls her cats many times each day, sometimes more than once an hour.

Is she wasting her time? I've always understood that to a cat, their keeper is just a meal ticket, and they will not respond unless hungry.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
A lady who lives a few doors up the road from me keeps some cats (I've never actually worked out exactly how many she keeps).

On the few occasions that I'm at home and working outside, I've noticed that she opens her door and calls her cats many times each day, sometimes more than once an hour.

Is she wasting her time? I've always understood that to a cat, their keeper is just a meal ticket, and they will not respond unless hungry.

Depends on the cats all my previous cats have answered to a whistle

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Food is the answer with mine. If I stand at the door shaking their biscuit box I normally get every cat in the neighbourhood coming towards me!!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
2706777 said:
You are familiar with the phrase "herding cats"?
Have you ever marshalled at a long-distance Audax event......?

Shepherding tired/hungry Audax riders is also like herding cats.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You can train your cats to come or indeed answer when called.
I do with mine: it helps to locate the cat if it's in distress or trapped someplace - or you want them in for the night.
Ime they answer to your voice, not their name, no random cat ever answered me :smile:
Trick is not to call them too often - or they will not come if you really need them in!
Food or a treat, like a grooming session, will get them used to respond.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Pat, you are a complete star :smile:.
Actually, my Mum did teach me this many years ago, when we were living in an isolated house surrounded by swamps (rural Italy :blush:) she went to look for the cat at night, the cat could not be found, she started calling it, the cat called back until she located it with a torch.
It had fallen into a deep (for a cat) swamp, could not get out.
All ended well ^_^

ayceejay

Guru
I must be weird as it is me that jumps to order when the cat calls. He gets fed at 7 am and 4 pm and you could set your clock by that, so there's me up and out of bed to fill his bowl, so how do I get from here to having him ignore me when I call his name?

Top Bottom