Catchphrases that stick with you...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Following on from the sweetie nostalgia, sort of....

I used to love Absolutely, the Scottish comedy show. Especially the Stoneybridge town council. My favourite was when they were trying to find someone to open the town jamboree, and someone suggested Tom Cruise, but they rejected him because he was short, and people at the back of the crowd wouldn't be able to see him. One of them said:

"Ay, well, maybe we could build him a wee podum?"

and someone else said:

"Aye, or they could all stand in a ditch!" All in broad Scottish accents.

Whenever I struggle to reach something (which is often) I think "ah, I need a wee podum!" and if my sister was around, I could say it, and she'd come back with "or we could all stand in a ditch". But I don't think anyone else would have a clue what I was talking about!

Anyone else got such a saying?

Norm

"You'll need a tray" is a recent addition to my stock. :smile:

Noodley

'Absolutely' was great...and so was 'Mr Don and Mr George' which was a spin-off of sorts.

I infrequently meet a friend from many years ago but we still replace the word 'then' with 'now' when we do...

e.g. " So it wasn't funny then?"...."It wasn't funny now"..

Greedo

Funnily enough one of mine is from Absolutley.

When I'm telling someone I know or if I'm with someone in the street when someone asks directions I always do the "whistling security guard" IE take your "whistle" right, walks straight down and take a "whistle" left.

still makes me laugh

I hated the Meldrew programme - whatever it was called and only ever watched about 20 minutes in total - but his catchphrase lives with me - when things are going awry the very thought that I might be having a Meldrew moment is enough to get me back on track with a cunning plan.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Noodley said:
I didn't know you were that old :laugh:

I'll remember to be nicer towards you in future :smile:

How very dare you!!! That was broadcast when my dad was 8 or so.
I heard it on a CD.

Norm

psmiffy said:
...the very thought that I might be having a Meldrew moment is enough to get me back on track with a cunning plan.
One Foot In The Grave.

Although your post reminds me of "Is it as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University..."

Mine are mostly from the likes of Python (Yes, we are all individuals), Not The Nine O'Clock News (Wild? I was absolutely furious!) and similar (Cheers: "I just look at Vera, Coach, and I can't").

There are lots that run around my head all the while but not being much of a TV watcher I can never remember where they come from - this has got me going - where does "oops" come from

Top Bottom