Cateye 800 - front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yes I would. It's compact, easily removable, a good beam and well built. USB charging means that I charge it in work....:whistle:
I think it cost about 70/80 quid. If it's good quality that works then I don't mind paying for it.

The annoying thing is, is that it's my second one. The first I loaned to Mrs Dave who lost it. She denies this of course!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The i zone arc 850 is a cracking light but there don't seem to be any available currently. If the 650 is half as good then It would be worth a punt for under £30 from Tredz. I paid less than £40 when I bought my 850 a year ago. It has been a really good purchase. Have a look at some of the reviews. It has converted me after 7 years with a battery pack and separate light unit for winter commutes on unlit country lanes.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have one of the the 800's predecessor (Volt700), and only use the lowest setting for the 'urban' part of my ride. I have to use the highest output when going through the Hermitage of Braid at night and it is more than up to the task of lighting my way ahead. As you can seen from the image below its a fairly narrow path with reasonably dense growth either side of you. Its is extremely dark with no artificial light penetration, so the extra output from the higher setting is quite useful.

Hermitage%2Bof%2BBraid%2Band%2BBlackford%2BHill%2Bburn.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5022021, member: 9609"]have just ordered it. £72 :eek:
with a brooks saddle and this light I now have a bike worth nicking.

hopefully I should be able to see the pot holes in the road now - I was very luck tonight and missed a stone the size of a house brick by about an inch, it would have buggered my wheel and probably brought me down. no time to react with my candle in a jam jar that I am currently using.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy the new fangled technology!

I think it is the middle of the day isn't it ?:smile:

"Hermitage of Braid" sure has a ring to it doesn't it? Sounds like the sort of place you need the strongest possible light for fear of being waylaid by goblins.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The only good cateyes are the G models, but the UK usually gets the shoot lenses instead.

no not at all - that was my point - it's very refreshing (especially after spending a bit too much (or indeed any) time in the politics bit. Ride on :smile:

[QUOTE 5026172, member: 9609"]It arrived this afternoon (well done Chain Reaction for prompt delivery) I had done a 25 earlier on in the day, but I couldn't resist testing the new light out so it was another 22 the night. (and I have a 60 the morrow and did a 50 yesterday)

I put it on flash mode as the light started to fade but really didn't like it, it's clearly very powerful and I was picking p the flashing from the road surface and found it disturbing.

But as I got to the end of twighlight and put the beam on proper, WOW, this is some light. I preferred riding with it on the dimmest of the three settings, the dry road surface was lit up well enough to see faults/gravel etc but not too bright that I couldn't see beyond the light, It is so bright on full beam that I couldn't see outwith the beam (hope that makes sense)

I only passed one car comming the other way and I did have my light on full beam and he flashed me, which has me thinking is it too bright and should it be dippable ?

I was struggling to use the button with my gloves on which is a bit of a nuisance.

Anyway here is a comparison between my old light and the new one, the old one was a bit scarey as I couldn't make out potholes / stones etc, hit a big pot hole and it could burst a tyre or a rim and leave a long walk home.
View attachment 381607

View attachment 381608

And here is a little video from the dashcam in the van, note how the bike light outshines the vans dipped beam at the beginning of the video. I ride 260 yards out and back, I think I must be obvious to other road users

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODWZvO6t7Rs[/QUOTE]
Impressive :becool: My 400 arrived today as well and whilst its good I'd say its half as bright. It came around 11am and charged via usb before 4pm that's roughly the time frame I wanted (5h charge) but maybe I would have got away with the 800 charge time, how do you find it?

[QUOTE 5026215, member: 9609"]it was working when it arrived and it just got an hour before I headed off (it was showing 3.62v). Its on charge now.[/QUOTE]
Mine said it had charge too but I charged it anyway rather than finding it flat in the middle of the unlit country side. With whatever it had in it took 5hours on usb (it'll be faster at home with a docking station) but that suggests the 800 would have had just enough time to charge on usb as I can normally leave things to charge for at least 9 hours if I don't do OT :becool: My video is still up loading but it no where near as impressive. My camera doesnt capture the full quality of the V400 but even accounting for that its not a patch on yours. I like when a car in the middle of the country waited for what seemed liked ages instead of pulling out and because there was enough steady light from the volt I never got dazzled by any of the on coming traffic :becool:

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I just replaced my Volt300 with an 800 and am likewise impressed.

I’m led to believe the low battery red light comes on when the battery is down to 20% charge. That then gives you about 40mins on medium 400lumen setting, 1hr on low/hyper constant or 6hrs on flash.

I like the way they have changed the button function from my old Volt 300. Now, If you set the light to any of the settings other than high (I have mine on low 200 lumens for the road), a quick double press of the button whacks it up to full 800 lumen power and then a further single press takes it back to its previous setting. It works like a main/dipped beam function without having to cycle through the other settings. Not so easy with gloves on mind you!

Cateye quote 5hrs recharge time if you use a 1amp+ charger or a usb3 port.

I got mine from Sigma, signed up to their newsletter for an extra £5 off so it cost me just shy of £58.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have the Volt 300 and 50 at the rear. The rubber from the rear bracket has split and the body of both front and rear light has corroded. Hopefully your 800 will be better finished.

Top Bottom