Cateye HL530 failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I brought one of these lights last year. I used it through the winter and spring and very occasionally since, mainly as a hand torch whilst camping. The unit has failed. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? There seems to be quite a lot electronics in there with the fancy magnetic switch and I doubt that the switch or LED are serviceable items.

Cateye have no tech support until the 29th so i have to wait a while until i can contact them.

Windy

02GF74

Über Member
how has it failed? are the batteries worn out?

does it havee a guarantee?

take it back to the shop and give'em hell.

garrilla

Maybe you are not getting complete circuit? clean the contacts on the lamp side (maybe with some sandpaper) and check the springs in the body are fully extended.

Alf

Guru
I had a 500 (same but older and less powerful) which lasted a few years until I dropped it on the road. No visible damage but the LED must have failed. Mine was too old but sounds like yours is young enough to complain about at the shop

Alf

buddha

Veteran
I had this happen on an HL-EL530 (over a year ago IIRC). Something to do with the soldering in the magnetic switch. Admittedly I'd dropped a few times, once at speed when going over a pot hole.
Anyway, it was within warranty, so the shop replaced it.
Don't know how you'd get to the switch without breaking the case.

Top Bottom