cateye strada wireless - strange problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The thing had been working fine for the 18 months I've had it. A week or so back it started to pick up the signal from the sensor intermittently, and now not at all. I can hear the click when the magnet goes past the sensor, so my thought was it must be the battery in the sensor. New panasonic battery (OK, from ebay) fitted, no different. Thinking the second battery could be dud, I tried another battery, not brand new this time but probably OK, same result. I could have 3 dead batteries, but the odds are against it.

The computer seems to be working OK, digits are clear etc.

The strange thing is, if I hold the computer a couple of inches below the handlebars, it works fine. So it seems the signal is just too weak for the computer to pick it up when mounted on the bars. Nothing has moved to make it go wrong, and there are no lights interfering. I've tried moving the computer around on the bars, no improvement. I can't mount the sensor any higher up on the fork as it will be too far from the magnet.

Is it worth changing the battery in the computer end? Anything else I can try?

I can hear the click when the magnet goes past the sensor

what click? mine doesn't click. Is it catching? If so, maybe you've broken it by giving it a beating.

Is it worth changing the battery in the computer end? Anything else I can try?

Yes, I change both together.

Broadside

Guru
They do make a very very quiet click as the magnet goes past the pickup, it needs to be silent around you in order to hear it.

Agree that you should replace both batteries, the head unit has got to locate and amplify the signal it is not just the transmitter that does the work.

I'd rigged up my old Cateye micro wireless to the rear wheel of the turbo, it didn't take nicely to going into the rear wheel :blush: I picked up and it looked fine but seemed dead xx( until I changed all the batteries even then it was still a bit pernickety like the OP describes and I had to place the receiver unit quite close to the transmitter but bizarrely after time things seemed to normalise again and I could place them further apart :wacko:

Top Bottom