Cateye Volt 700 & Rapid 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Have signed up for a charity ride over 3 days in May, so need to do Peloton training in the evenings now. Not got any lights, so have been looking online at reviews.

Have read a number of good reviews on the Cateye Volt 700 and the Cateye Rapid 3.

Can anyone advise if these are any good or advise on potential alternatives?

I am looking to light up the road rather than just be seen and want it to be USB chargeable and not have an external battery pack.

I've got the volt 300 and its great, nice and self contained and can't fault it, I'd potentially go for its better battery life and a spare battery depending how long you'll be in the dark but given its May I doubt it'll be long but maybe get yourself a back up AA battery light; I use a cheap Smart Lunar 35.

For the rear I use a Lezyne Zecto unbelievably bright and usb rechargeable but I doubt it would be good for you, it drains its battery fast. Again I use a standard battery light (blackburn mars 3.0) as back up.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for the info. I am looking to use the lights now, for training, rather than for the ride itself. Will check out those you have mentioned.

Cheers for the info. I am looking to use the lights now, for training, rather than for the ride itself. Will check out those you have mentioned.
A single Volt 300 battery will do you fine for training; mine after a year see's the warning light come on about 1h40 and it'll last another 40min; when it was new it'd last just over 3 hours, always enough for my longest training rides but for reassurance a Smart 25 or 35 accompanied.

Sharky

Guru
+1 for the volt300. Only had it since Christmas, but have taken some dark muddy roads on my commute home and no problems.
If you have a tablet - down load the cateye beam chart app for comparisons.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Went for the Volt 300 with charger and spare battery. Also grabbed the Volt 50 for the rear, as uses same interchangeable battery. Cheers for the help guys.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You've bought well the volt 300 is as good as the others say, it is my main light on my commute bikes and works very well in proper dark.

I've tested it in a pitch dark storeroom vs a volt 700 too and wow, the 700 is like broad daylight in comparison to a bright dawn or dusk of the 300, it is a go pretty well anywhere at any speed light.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You've bought well the volt 300 is as good as the others say, it is my main light on my commute bikes and works very well in proper dark.

I've tested it in a pitch dark storeroom vs a volt 700 too and wow, the 700 is like broad daylight in comparison to a bright dawn or dusk of the 300, it is a go pretty well anywhere at any speed light.
Had to draw the line somewhere and the difference paid for the charger, extra battery and the rear light, so can live with that. Cheers for the info guys!

Top Bottom