Cateye Volt 800 - a poor purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I just received a Cateye Volt 800 front light in the post, having ordered it online. While the light itself appears to be good quality and well designed, the handlebar mount is the opposite, and appears to be designed as if it were part of a child's toy. Now I wish I'd never ordered this light.

kiwifruit

Über Member
I had mine for 2 years and never had a problem with the light or bracket.

Sharky

Guru
Maybe the design has changed, but I've been using cateye lights for over 15 yrs and with different models up to the volt 300. Have always been impressed with how all of their models fit the same brackets and they have been quite sturdy and cheap to buy extras for my many bikes.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Can you post a picture @Shut Up Legs?
I recently got the Volt 800, graduating from a CatEye Opticube, then a Volt 100.
They all fit on the same, sturdy, adaptable to different thickness of bike bars, bracket.
Mind, there are two versions of the Volt range, the one held by the rubber band is "CX", while the one with the sturdy fitting is not "CX"
Examples of "CX" fitting here
Example of standard fitting here
The CX range is typically a few pounds cheaper than the same light that comes with the proper bracket.
The light itself is excellent, so either return yours for another with the better bracket, or fit a shim underneath the light to stop it moving.
Bracket fitting is much better, you just slide the light on and off the bike.

Top Bottom