Cateye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I fitted my new Cateye strada, had one before but followed the general advice to fit it on the front of fork rather than rear this time , the sensor that is. It looks very exposed and kinda out there to me and seemed more sheltered and safer at the rear. Where do those that have them put them ?
Never had a problem with it at the rear when I used one before. The slimline version with the sensor on the inside of fork leg is not suitable for my bike due to the large clearance between fork and wheel/spokes so magnet and sensor don't see each other

When it is on the front pointing forwards, he magnet or spokes cannot suck it in and ruin your day. It can if it is pointing backwards. Further, anything that comes close enough to rip the sensor off your forks is probably going to spoil your life in anyway, so it doesn't matter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Which model ? There are a few.

Wireless with cadence goes on the rear chain stay on the non-drive side. For a model that doesn't have cadence, then the rear of the fork is OK too if there are problems with chain stays.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
This is mine, mounted behind the front fork, works perfect and never had any issues.

View attachment 123627 This is mine, mounted behind the front fork, works perfect and never had any issues.
The fact that you've never had any issues is just a statistical anomaly. One day, whilst the bike is parked somewhere, someone will bump the sensor. It will bend slightly inwards. As soon as you push the bike or, make a flying start, it will jam in the spokes and scratch/destroy/annoy something. However, if it were mounted in front, this will be a non-event.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
The fact that you've never had any issues is just a statistical anomaly. One day, whilst the bike is parked somewhere, someone will bump the sensor. It will bend slightly inwards. As soon as you push the bike or, make a flying start, it will jam in the spokes and scratch/destroy/annoy something. However, if it were mounted in front, this will be a non-event.

Agreed this could happen but Cateye have an excellent reputation and there advice is to mount behind, or instructions at least. Wonder how many have actually been trashed

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The only problem ive had with my cateye velo wireless is that the sensors stop working completely if it gets too cold - were talking 1-4'c. Hence the reason for my upgrade to garmin edge. Readout has told me that im cycling just below 4'c and everything still works perfectly

midlife

Guru
You can mount it pointing forwards on the fork and it will still work. if it gets pushed into the wheel then it will make a clattering sound but not get dragged in. Rather like the playing cards we clipped to the forks and stays with clothes pegs BITD.

Shaun

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been using cycle computers since the 1990's, I've always mounted the sensor on the back of the front left fork, I've not had any problems with where they're mounted.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I've been using cycle computers since the 1990's, I've always mounted the sensor on the back of the front left fork, I've not had any problems with where they're mounted.

It, to me, just looks less obtrusive there but I understand the reasoning on the front. Suppose it's like the opinions of where on the fork to mount the sensor...rim or hub. I tried both, same ride, same distance and all results same. Pickup worked fine in both positions. I understand the theory of how the sensor works etc. But wanted to see if the pickup indeed worked in all positions. It did

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a fair carbuncle which is why I've use chain stay mounted sensors. For cadence, just get a neoblahblah magnet and stick it to the back of your pedal axel rather than the cable tie magnets on your crank.

Having knocked fork magnets before, they are very unlikely to stop a wheel/damage a fork, but, where that big carbuncle is, nah, move it.

Top Bottom