Cathderals Cycling Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abcd efg

Über Member
Has anyone any comments about this this new initiative? I think it would likely be any interesting multi year project, but can't seem to find an overall route map and can't seem to find anyone who has any real information. Thanks

Sharky

Guru

Sharky

Guru
It's a romantic idea, but I think it is slightly flawed.
- Sundays are probably the most popular day of the week for cycle sportive and club runs. I suspect Sundays are also a busy day for the Cathedrals.
- The full route will be like LeJog, followed immediately by JogLe, or LEL x 2 - a bit too far for most.
- Point to point rides - maybe, but do you really want to navigate busy city centres at the start and finish of a ride?
- But why is it restricted to CofE cathedrals only? If it included RC cathedrals, Synagogs, Temples and basically being inclusive of all religions. It would have been a great opportunity to break down some of the barriers we have between the different cultures.

A similar idea here in Kent was the Castles Ride. An annual charity ride, linking 5 castles in Kent. I rode it a few times in it's early days and it used to go into the grounds of each castle. But I think the castles realised that they were getting a few hundred cyclists passing through their grounds, without any income being generated. Still called the Castle Ride, but now it skirts past the castles, without going into the grounds.

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
Thanks for all the comments. My concern was about the actual routes and whether they were quiet roads, or a mixture of paved and trails or whatever. I now have details about each stage, but being of the old school of cycle touring - ie 'quiet roads' - I will compare the official routes with cycle.travel, now my go-to choice for routes, and probably use the latter.

Again, thanks to all

Bob

freiston

Veteran
I haven't ridden any of the routes but I have had a good look on maps & Google Earth at the Sheffield to Lincoln route as a possible project for the future. As I recall, there are some short sections across fields, some nice off-road paths and trails and very little on main roads (certainly where a cyclepath/roadside path is not available - personally, I consider a roadside path along a busy single carriageway road between towns/villages to be fair game for cyclists).

The route goes through a couple of country parks, including Clumber Park and on some tracks that would be challenging on a skinny tyred road bike - here's an example (near Bevercotes)
1662936511341.png

I searched out the bit of busy road with the path that I was thinking of above - the A618 Mansfield Road (northbound) by Rother Valley Golf Centre - a bit of a climb and not something I'd like to do on the road, especially loaded with camping gear.
1662936081718.png

OP
OP
A

abcd efg

Über Member
Thanks again. I'll plan my routes using C.T and not the published ones. Until I got an Airnimal Joey my touring bike has always had 700x21 tyres and I always stuck to quiet, paved roads as much as possible. The Joey has very much wider tyres that would be okay I suppose, but I would prefer to my usual route criteria.

Thanks again for the advice.

Bob

Top Bottom