Cathedrals Cycle Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cwskas

Über Member
While this is not in my part of the world, I enjoyed looking at all the routes and descriptions at the link you posted. I downloaded all of the routes from the separate links at the bottom of the page and imported them into the OsmAnd app and took a screenshot using different colors for even and odd routes to distinguish. It didnt turn out as well as I had hoped. So I created this map using arcgis.com. I do not know how to change the color of the tracks in that software.

CCR-arcgis.jpg

Attachments

• CCR-osm.jpg
    CCR-osm.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 5

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
... using arcgis.com. I do not know how to change the color of the tracks in that software.

Possibly set an attribute for each route - "odd" or "even" - and colour the route based on the attribute. Or put the odd and even routes in two separate layers, each of which can be coloured differently.

if you like playing about with mapping I much prefer the free QGIS software to Arc.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I was wondering about another UK tour and came across this https://www.cyclinguk.org/cathedrals-cycle-route-challenge. it looks like the sort of thing that could be done in several sittings. I quite like the Cathedral focus, not least because they are usually surrounded by tea rooms. Has anyone engaged with the project? Is there a map of all the route anywhere?

Don't be disappointed when you get to Newcastle & there are no tea rooms. There's a Subway opposite!

It's not the same sort of environment you'd find near York Minster though it is right next door to the castle. Might be a bit of an anti-climax after Durham!

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies and going to the trouble of compiling a map @cwskas. It looks an interesting project with some really great Cathedral cities like Durham, York etc and some less so. I’ll have a think about whether the more inner city sections can be reduced or at least made more interesting. I normally try and avoid towns so this would definitely be a different sort of challenge.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I feel obliged to point out the York is a Minster (albeit still a Cathedral) and Oxford Cathedral does not exist, but Christ Church Cathedral does.

I also feel subway is overrated

cwskas

Über Member
Living in a small town with only a handful of eating out options, I find my local Subway to be quite friendly, consistent and reasonably inexpensive. I almost always order the same thing . . .

. . . I tend to think of what I want to eat and then know where I want to go to get that, rather than picking a place and then deciding what they have I might like.

OP
OP
G

geocycle

Legendary Member
My only gripe with subway is that I’m often too hungry to make all the decisions necessary before you get your sandwich!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don't be disappointed when you get to Newcastle & there are no tea rooms. There's a Subway opposite!

It's not the same sort of environment you'd find near York Minster though it is right next door to the castle. Might be a bit of an anti-climax after Durham!

Just for balance, Newcastle-upon-Tyne has a Catholic Cathedral too, and, it has a cafe in the grounds. ;)

I am not a Catholic, so, no advertising intended ;)

The “other” Cathedral has some good pubs nearby. ;)

Top Bottom