Catrike two wheeler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
re brakes. I did also wonder that about the rim brakes. But rattling around the interweb at various reviews. Reports are that the brakes are very good. But I was thinking of probably upgrading them to disc. Catrike do you know if this is possible?

At the moment there are no disc brake mounts on the frame or forks.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
They better be, 'cos if I recall correctly, you eat pads. :angry:
ianrauk said:
I am lucky to get 3 months out of mine.

Considering our mileages aren't *that* different, bear in mind I change pads once a year, and can only top my 19mph average cross town speed by braking late and sharp.

Small wheels run hot, so go easy. That said, I did pick up a lovely rotor tattoo last summer on the Furai. Nothing compared to yours, but those avid rotors do leave a pretty pattern on the calf.

The rims give a larger surface area for braking, to be honest I am not sure which I prefer, rim or disc, they can both be very efficient and can both be utter rubbish.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I notice they do different boom versions.
Standard version X-Seam 41" to 46"
Short version X-Seam min 39"

And I have found a couple of reports that the shorter version has pedal wheel strike issues. Have you heard about this?

Now me being a shortarse 5'9" I can imagine I would need the short version.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
IMHO, pedal / wheel interference is a nightmare on the first few rides, and then almost never shows up again. I got spoilt by the SMGTe (no interference at all) and had never had to learn avoidance techniques before progressing to the Furai. You can imagine my surprise when I found it was possible to hit the CRANK on the front wheel, let alone a foot! ;)

Dialled out in my post LEL boom length, I now have about 4" clearance between the pedal and tyre. Remembering not to put your foot in the wheel when wobbling away or turning tightly is something you just do after a while.

Its not really any different from learning not to scrape the inside pedal of a DF on the floor when powering through a tight corner. You soon learn which foot to have up, and how much clearance you actually need.

Lean to steer, turn the bars to bring the bike back under you. All will be well.

Well it is a MWB so there is the chance, with SWB there is seldom a chance but the bike is not as stable, I was under the impression that the only person who had pedal strike on the Musashi was a 5'7" rider with flipper feet, I may be wrong though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Right.. upon my return from holibobs end of July. I will make a date to pop down and have a spin if that's ok?

Took my first decent run on the Catbike today, it is fast and feels weightless, I have not got up to the no hands point yet but am riding clipless already, just need to remember to unclip at junctions as I do not do that on the trike. The seat is also very comfortable, it has the mesh type seat and velcro'd to that is a hd foam seat pad, the bike almost feels like it has suspension. The next couple of weeks see me all over the place so will not get to ride much but will start commuting by Musashi from about the 24th just to get used to 2 wheels again.

Top Bottom