Cat's died.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HobbesChoice

Spending 18 years with another creature, particularly a pet, is a terrible loss. That unconditional love is a very difficult thing to let go of, so your complete lack of selfishness in the decision you made is such a lovely and caring thing to do. Your last memories haven't been tainted by the tumour.

I had a dog when I was very young that I thought the world of and she got to the stage where she was very close to death. Selfishly we decided to keep her alive until after Christmas which was a week away, but she couldn't hold out that long and ran off to die. It still tortures me that we put her through that and forced her to die alone in a strange place rather than doing the right thing by HER. So please, never doubt your decision as being anything but the very best one and try to let that bring you some comfort.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Nighttrain - so sorry to hear of your news. You did the right thing for her and it'll be tough initially but that's only a testament to how much you cared for and loved your cat. Recently, lost my cat myself so know exactly where you're coming from.

Thoughts are with you.

postman

Legendary Member
So sorry to hear about this.And so near xmas aswell.
When 'family' means so much.Keep your chin up.All the best.

I'm filling up reading your post and all the other posts about it. It's so very hard to part with a pet and it's happened to me many times. My previous cat was relatively young, he went to the vet as a red mark was spotted in his throat on a checkup. He went for investigation and I was told it was a growth & it would be too dangerous to operate.

I just insisted they waited until I got there before doing anything, you owe it to them to hold them in their last moments.

Try to remember the pleasure that Kat gave you and your family and that you made the right decision in the end.

When you are ready there will be another one looking for such a kind and thoughtful owner such as you.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
So sorry to hear that NT.

I got a rescue cat when I got married in 1990, and then a rescue kitten a year later. The cat had to be put to sleep almost 6 years ago, but the now 18yr-old kitten's still going strong (though now on daily thyroid tabs, almost stone deaf and starting to get a little creaky in the back legs if she's been lying down too long and then stands up).

Remember your cat fondly, as I do of my first one, and stay strong. You did what was best for her and didn't let her suffer.

Wolf04

Condolences Night Train, it's always a terribly sad time when a loved one passes on.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Sorry to hear that, NT. Sounds like you did the right thing and minimised her suffering. Hope you can take comfort from the fact that you gave her a good life, and spent many happy years together. ;)

dustystreet

been there with a cat that i'd had for 12 years since i was 3 and had a tumour in it's eye. had the choice of putting it to sleep or having it's eye removed.

made the mistake of thinking of my own feelings and having it's eye removed so i could keep my friend. cue the cat in agony overnight without being able to do anything for it until we could get it back to the vet the next day

i was at school when my brother came to get me as the vet had said there it wasn't going to survive and we wanted to go say goodbye beforehand. went home first and the phone rang. it was the vet saying that he had passed away already.

i've still not forgiven myself for putting my cat through that night of agony. if i could go back in time, the first thing i would do before choosing a better path for my own life would be to rectify that decision.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Im so, so sorry to hear that Night Train, but you did a very loving and selfless thing and she is not suffering anymore.
:biggrin::hugs::sad::hugs::biggrin::hugs::laugh::hugs:

Top Bottom