Cattle grid accident..advice always appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

akb

Veteran
I have visited quite a few National Parks; the Lakes, Exmoor, The Peaks etc and all of the cattle grids I see have some form of pedestrian route to 'by-pass' the grid. Maybe the safest way would be to use the Pedestrian escape route, assuming that there is one?

There is a cattle grid on my commute route, on a bend. I slow right down to about 8-9mph and freewheel over it, trying to keep the wheel as straight as possible whilst negotiating the bend.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends upon the grid - it it's the rounded grids, then usually a little slower, flatter ones just straight over. Important not to death grip the bike. Stand on pedals and let it roll over. Wet grids need extra care. Or bunny hop it ! :thumbsup:

thom

____
Get Well Soon. At least your feedback can help make a difference as to how they ulitmately surface the grid and so benefit other people. I didn't realise there would be different possibilities.
Enough already said about technique - when coming back, I'd maybe not ride wet grids until you feel confident on dry ones.
I hope your scans and recuperation go well.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
GWS Selly!
I don't have cattle grids in my area, can't advice.
Hope the MRI will be good news :hello:

lulubel

Über Member
Get well soon.

I'm so glad there aren't any cattle grids here. When I was staying in the New Forest, I got off and walked over (or round) all of them. Drove my OH nuts!

I come into contact with cattle grids when I head out into the depths of Durham or Northumberland. I have to say I hate the bloody things, particularly when wet. I would normally slow down, probably 12-15 mph and go as straight as possible. I guess it's just finding what you are comfortable with, I have seen guys absolutely fly over these things, not me I'm afraid.
Hope you recover soon.

It's not rocket science, the less time the wheels are in contact with metal, the less chance there is to skid, and as fossy says if you have the skill, jump them when you can.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Just as a point of information, I'm not sure if I understand this bunnyhop thing. Are you saying you take a run at the grid, get the bike airborne, and fly the two metres across the grid?

Bunny hop a small sewer grid yes , i cant see anyone bunny hopping a full cattle grid.

Yep, take a run towards the grid and bunny hop to get the bike airborne, I always do this as fast as I can, I approach it like a sprint... I have never come off on a cattle grid yet even in the rain.
Im not certain of the distances Im clearing as I have never measured them but equally I do not stop and check if I am approaching a sewer grid or cattle grid (and would not know the difference anyway).
I just have a go at it for no other reason than its fun.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think I'll leave bunnyhopping until I get my Pilots Licence, the lack of control in the air would worry me. Meantime I'll negotiate cattle grids with care, particularly in wet or frosty weather.:smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Bunny hop a small sewer grid yes , i cant see anyone bunny hopping a full cattle grid.

Not everyone has a speed cap of 10mph :tongue:

Work it out, mph to m/s, a cattle grid is 1.5 - 2 metre's across (unless it is a double whammy job). Easily able to hop a couple of metres at a moderate speed, it only requires you to be airborne for a fraction of a second.

Never the less, I don't see the point in bunny hopping them really, just ride over it!

Top Bottom