Cattle grid accident..advice always appreciated.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Get better soon!

Not had a problem with cattle grids as up here they tend to be rusty grippy bars.

I do have an issue with railway crossings and in particular the Metro crossing at Fawdon in Newcastle which is on a bend and has metal plates set flush with the rails which are lethal when wet... even in a car the tyres lose grip so on a bike it's like sheet ice... and as for those large triangular manhole covers....

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Its a good job cattle don't have the internet...

OP
OP
Sellyb

Sellyb

I would like to add my experience. A couple of weeks ago, I was on a road bike tyres at about 90 psi and went on an organised ride. I went over a cattle grid in the Brecon Beacons at about 15 mph on a damp day. The bike flew sideways and smacked me into the road about 4 metres past the grid. My helmet cracked but stayed in one piece and saved me from a possibly very serious head injury. I landed on my hip and couldn't really move. Fortunately, some mountain bikers appeared very quickly and helped me off the road after checking that my back was OK. A passing car took me to A&E( no mobile phone signals at all where I had the accident) where I was found to have a couple of fractures in the Acetabulum, the part of the pelvis that is the socket of the hip ball and socket joint.
I can only conclude that I must have had the brakes on as we were starting a long and possibly quite fast descent, which together with the water on the bars and the fact that the bars were the round ones and not square, meant that the front wheel locked up and lost all stability. I have crossed grids many times and never even had anything like this happen. It will be while before I try riding over one again!
My injury isn't really painful but I expect to be on crutches for another 8 to 10 weeks.
I have been told that some organised rides have marshalls on cattle grids because of the problems they can cause. Can anyone on here confirm this?
I am so sorry that you appear to have had a similar accident to mine, which is now approaching it's anniversary (Nov 24th). You may have seen that I suffered four hairline fractures to my pelvis, which were diagnosed some time after the incident when I still couldn't walk. I can't believe I actually got back on the bike after the incident and tried to cycle it home, but both the bike and myself were in no fit state. It took me 6 weeks to start putting weight on the leg, and by 10 weeks I was walking without pain, so you will get there, and I really hope it hasn't put you off.
I got back on the turbo trainer around February time, and completed a 74 mile ride in April, and my first century in August. Believe it or not, I am still cycling over cattle grids, but feel much more experienced now, after joining a local road club, which really helped me. I just sit very still and very straight, and don't even touch the pedals or breaks when crossing them, and will not travel over them at speed in the wet.
I am sure you must be really frustrated, and I suggest buying lots of cycling mags to keep you occupied and thinking forwards to next years goals. I hope you are not in too much pain. I tried the legal route but unfortunately got nowhere upon a barrister viewing the case. It would be good to hear from you about your progress/comments. Get well soon! :-)

Albert

Über Member
Loads of cattle grids where I live. I always go over them very, very slowly. When they are wet they are dangerous, when icy they are absolutely lethal. Try to have just enough speed to get over the grid without having to put any force through the pedals, as this can provoke a skid. Also, go across 100% upright. If in doubt - eg uphill in the wet - get off and walk the bike across.
I hope you heal up soon.

Bodhbh

Guru
Never head a cycling problem with grids.

Whilst my tyres have never been narrower than 32mm I always ride cross 'straight as a die' at a reasonable speed (12mph maybe).

I tend to run fat tyres too (35+) and I can't say they've ever bothered me. I don't know if that's it. I wouldn't like to turn on one, but rode across loads, either v slow uphill or down at speed. Otherwise I'm no great shakes on a bike.

albion

Guru
I'm guessing that when damp after a dry spell they will be deadly to any steering change/braking.

I'm always wary on any newly damp road so they have to be worse.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When it is wet any metal surface is slippery. This included cattle grids, grates in the road and man hole covers. This also applies to road markings painted on the road.

I just find it hard to believe that you did not think of dismounting and walking over the grid.

Steve

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It depends on the bike. I regularly go over two cattle grids close to each other near Castle Ashby and I aim to cross them square on. With the road bike I can ride over the Cross Braces and not really have to slow down. On the MTB I just hit them at 90 degrees at whatever speed I am at the time.

grid.jpg

alfie155

may i add my unfortunate expereance involing cattle grids? went for a local ride yesterday, i took a wrong turn and come across the most dodgiest grid I have ever seen, ok it was also wet so i did take it slow, next thing my bike was swiped from under me, resulting a broken knee cap :sad:
im now sitting here with a splint and cruchers, i cant work, i cant drive, cant ride a bike, cant even get in and out of bed without the help off my wife, i could b like this for up to 12 weeks,
the most frustraiting thing is i've only been riding 8 weeks, I absulutly love it, i lost a stone, got confident and piticullaly this week i could really feel an improvement on my fitness. 12 weeks time ill be back to square 1.:sad:
ive been bloody misrible to be honest however reading this has giving me an insperation:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
may i add my unfortunate expereance involing cattle grids? went for a local ride yesterday, i took a wrong turn and come across the most dodgiest grid I have ever seen, ok it was also wet so i did take it slow, next thing my bike was swiped from under me, resulting a broken knee cap :sad:
im now sitting here with a splint and cruchers, i cant work, i cant drive, cant ride a bike, cant even get in and out of bed without the help off my wife, i could b like this for up to 12 weeks,
the most frustraiting thing is i've only been riding 8 weeks, I absulutly love it, i lost a stone, got confident and piticullaly this week i could really feel an improvement on my fitness. 12 weeks time ill be back to square 1.:sad:
ive been bloody misrible to be honest however reading this has giving me an insperation:smile:

Not slow enough it would seem or dismount and walk across. GWS.

I have ridden across many cattle grids in Wales without any probs.

Any one survived riding across a cattle grid on a Brompton?

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
upright square and no breaking or change of direction, has served me well for 30 years, in all weathers, sorry that you fell but its not and can never be the councils fault.ps when younger and more reckless, i found that if your sprint like a nutter and bunny hop its possibly to clear them,the other option is to dismount.

alfie155

Not slow enough it would seem or dismount and walk across. GWS.

I have ridden across many cattle grids in Wales without any probs.

Any one survived riding across a cattle grid on a Brompton?

Really? ever come across this grid in wales?

08d1eb1e-bb01-4f11-853f-979f83265981.jpg

f4f2ec86-b672-4ee9-bd4f-d5825ea18d3b.jpg

also the cattle grid was just after a bend! it all happend abit to quick for me to think should i get off and walk but considering ive been over cattle grids many of times and never slipped, i didnt needed to think should i dismount and walk!

it was only after the fall i realised what staite the cattle grid was in tbh!

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
I would suggest that that cattle grid has been damaged by vehicles that were too heavy driving over it bending the bars and it should be replaced as it is dangerous as your experience has shown. Probably a farmer has driven very heavy farm vehicles or machinery over it or tankers. Nevertheless it might be actionable i.e. suing the owner of it or whoever has legal responsibility for it for the injuries you have suffered. Also this may well force them to replace it. I would contact a PI solicitor that acts for cyclists. If you are a member of BC ring them up and ask to speak to their preferred solicitors. If not a member you can still use their solicitors but on slightly different terms. Got to be worth a try as that cattle grid looks lethal and your injuries no doubt hurt, PSLA plus damage to your bike, loss of earnings, etc.

alfie155

already on the case, my main consern is im self employed so while im out of action, no money comming in :-(

Top Bottom