Caught out by my own attempt at cleverness.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recent issue with my MTB (Trek6000) where middle chainring is badly shark toothed.
Anyway, bought a replacement just before Xmas but only just got round to fitting it today, so, out comes the Bikehand and tools and off I went starting to strip I'd ready... Off with the crank co, out with the crank puller, em Hello! Nothing happening.
Seems to be a hollow BB and nothing to push against.
"aaah" I thought to myself, just unbolt the big ring and off it comes. Then the middle ring... Nope, the inner, nope and try as I may, I couldn't get it off

Eventually had to give up n the frame with bag of bits in the car for Mrs T to drop at LBS for me tomorrow.

Ah we'll, at least I tried.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sounds like a hollow tech 2 crank or similar. Just undo the bolts on the crank on the non drive side. Remove the crank, push the crank thru the frame, sometimes needs a little nudge with a rubber mallet or hammer and piece of wood.

simon.r

Person
I'm doing this from memory, but if you have a 'normal' crank extractor and an Octalink BB, a 5p piece will act as something to push against. (The 5p gets destroyed in the process!)

simon.r

Person
So do u insert the 5p from the drive or non-drive side?

I am going back a few years here, so this really is dredging my memory, I'm guessing you have a 'normal' crank extractor, like this:

3Buz-DjvMyzypmR0KI0eClCvUWkTeAj5GuudLPHWRbsUq9jcZo5cFW1vrGfXBLe9INPl_QpT9R4EsM-u9e6-7DpmyJ3WuLXvaNPYTlHyihDBioI2dbzGcPSvKfxeK54tR6ebCxFB2fCl28XCiOeNWcQwJL7jxt-MHs52MYw

As opposed to an Octalink extractor like this:

P0fLmZq47KEbWp9EcCJMR1GrT-znOvEkgvNXmNF45tPxZJGOlPOwJ2bGkKeZt11wORIXj6G5e2B4Ijw2JC4xu78EvCmnCo1qIjZoM4LdgjHLYfVJ3r8Ydc-WBTM54VEzi8HT7p0pAzml3wBa5E0l7Q

You can see the difference is the 'cap' on the end. Pushing a 5p coin into the crank (after removing the bolts!) gives the end of the 'normal' extractor something to push against.

It does work - I have a very damaged 5p coin to prove it - but probably better to spend a few quid on getting the right tool.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
a few years ago i discovered by accident that you't need a crank extractor. If your crank bolts are loose-ish, the cranks will work themselves loose just by riding the bike... don't ride it too far though as you'll be pushing it home, so round the block or round in circles is advised.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Y'se, if you where a dinosaur like me, you wouldnt have these problems. Good 'ol square taper !:highfive:

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
Thanks all.
Wife took into LBS for me n they sorted it - GRATIS, A pre-emptive call sorted it.
I ad bought all three of my bikes, initial kit and a double kiddie trailer from them in the past tho.

Top Bottom