Caught Speeding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
I was informed today by my boss that i was caught doing 60 mph in a 50mph zone in the Company car...this is my first driving faux pas in nearly 40 years of driving...i know i'll get a fine of some kind ...will i get points on my licence resulting in higher insurance premiums?...bit very annoyed

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I was informed today by my boss that i was caught doing 60 mph in a 50mph zone in the Company car...this is my first driving faux pas in nearly 40 years of driving...i know i'll get a fine of some kind ...will i get points on my licence resulting in higher insurance premiums?...bit very annoyed

It's worse than that, you're going to get a right bollicking from folks on CC.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I got caught a couple of weeks ago - doing 38 in a 30 zone. In my defence, it was on an empty dual carriageway at 1.15am, but hey ho, I know that's no excuse.

Letter came through from the police asking me to confirm I was the driver and setting out some of the possible punishments, which were:
1. £100 and three points
2. going on a speed awareness course
3. going to court

I will opt for 2, if I'm offered it. But I note that the letter was deliberately vague, opening up the possibility that they could decide to make an example of me or something. We'll see!

A lot of it will depend on which police force's jurisdiction you come under and whether or not speeders are flavour of the week for prosecution. And the law has recently been revised to allow the possibility of much greater fines...

By the way, I bet it isn't your first driving faux pas in 40 years - what you mean is it's the first time you've been caught. I'm pleased to report that I've had a clean licence for over 30 years but I wouldn't dream of claiming I've been a perfect driver in all that time.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Naughty Naughty.

Unfortunately, the chances are, yes you will get points and a fine. If you are lucky you will be offered a speed awareness course at your expense. Had to do the speed awareness course myself a few weeks ago, costly but better than points and to be fair, if you listen you do learn some useful stuff.

Drago

Legendary Member
You maniac! ;)

Policy varies by area, but I think you may be a bit high to be offered a speed awareness course. The good news is that many insurers aren't too worried about 3 points for speeding. 6 or more starts to upset them.

redvision95

Proffesional Biskit Eater Upper
Just to note, I believe insurance companies now ask if you have been on a course. It will still affect your premium either way now.

Naughty naughty :laugh:
I recently insured a new car, Rang around a few companies and didn't get asked by any of them. Might just have been the ones I spoke to and others might but not all do. :rolleyes:

Noru

One SP30 offence didn't effect my insurance premium too much. Way less than moving house which is a bit ridiculous! Get a few SP30s or other offences & your premium could sky rocket.

Whether your offered the speed awareness course depends on the speed you were caught at. I wasn't offered one for my first & only offence. Been 5 years since and now have a squaky clean license again. :smile:

I have become very aware of speed limits now. All due to having to drive a car with a black box in in order to have my lads insured. In fact it was a good thing because a number of speed limits have changed on roads near me and I had failed to notice. Several had gone down and one had gone up. So far my black box scores are 100%. I drive like a Vicar, you could balance an egg on a spoon for every journey.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Are you obliged to tell them if you have been on a course and is there anyway they can check your answer?

"Unlike penalty points, insurance firms cannot check whether a driver has taken a speed awareness course unless they admit to it, as this information is held by local police forces rather than the DVLA. However, if you fail to reveal that you have and later make a claim, you could find that your policy is invalid."

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...eness-course-could-hike-up-insurance-premiums

Top Bottom