Cauliflower rice... It’s the future!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have heard of it, but never tried it.

Far fewer calories than in brown rice apparently.
Brown rice 132 cals vs Cauliflower 29 cals for 100g cooked. Add a bit for the Cauli if lightly fried.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Brown rice 132 cals vs Cauliflower 29 cals for 100g cooked. Add a bit for the Cauli if lightly fried.
A tablespoon of oil, which is about what you need to fry 100g cauliflower, is about 120 cals. So for the same energetic value you've swapped a useful source of complex carbohydrates and fibre for a low-fibre source of simple carbohydrates and some fat.

And because it's simple carbohydrates (or "sugar" as we usually call it) you'll be hungry inside half an hour and will stock up on random food.

If you want cauliflower plus fat, why not eat cauliflower cheese?

There's only one good recipe for cauliflower..........

19059097_10155997753224198_3958548181572250075_n.jpg

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A tablespoon of oil, which is about what you need to fry 100g cauliflower, is about 120 cals. So for the same energetic value you've swapped a useful source of complex carbohydrates and fibre for a low-fibre source of simple carbohydrates and some fat.

And because it's simple carbohydrates (or "sugar" as we usually call it) you'll be hungry inside half an hour and will stock up on random food.

If you want cauliflower plus fat, why not eat cauliflower cheese?
Nothing wrong with Cauliflower cheese.
Cauli has very slightly more fibre and a fith of the total carbs. Yes it does have more free sugars. 1.9% vs 0.4% it’s neither here nor there.
As it was I was doing a fried rice dish which would have used the same amount if oil.... therefore in this case Cauliflower rice is the healthier option.

Oh, happy to report you are wrong on the hunger too.

Last edited:

TVC

I like it pureed too, as a creamy nest for scallops and some crispy pancetta..... oh oh oh and lightly curried as a soup.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Fried cauliflower is unbelievably delicious. I was subcontracted to do this from a Turkish recipe book when we had people round for tea. I'm usually not good with recipes as I can only read the first line then it just says "blah blah blah" (same reason blokes won't ask for directions) but this time I painstakingly read the half page of detailed instructions - which were a very drawn out way of saying "fry cauliflower, then sprinkle with salt and lemon". It really was ridiculously nice

Julia9054

Guru
Nice done half and half with real rice if you want to cut down on carbs. Also nice as part of a stew - some good recipes in Tom Kerridge's book. As a straight replacement for real rice it doesn't really cut it for me I'm afraid.

Top Bottom