Cav to take 'indefinite break'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Career over. It takes at least a year to be fully right after glandular fever (I had it during my cricketing career). With a sport as tough as cycling, to come back from many months off after a debilitating illness like glandular fever at the age of 34/ 35 would be an incredible effort, and these are Cav's declining years anyway.

Hmmm, I tend to agree with Mike, this could be career over. My only doubt is the stubbornness of the man, he could come back to prove a point. I also wonder what will have become of Dimension Data after a year and if they don't exist will he get another contract in a world tour team.

T4tomo

Guru
If he was a GC contender I would think he'd have a shot at a comeback, even at that age, but sprinting is such a young man's game...
He'd make a cracking lead out man though, few better at zipping through the bunch on the right wheels to deliver someone in the right place with 250 yds to go.

MikeG

Guru
Couple of weeks off and he'll be reet for the 'cross season.

After a couple of months of glandular fever, I was unable to walk further than the loo at the end of the corridor, and needed a rest before heading back to bed. Twelve months later I still needed 12 to 14 hours sleep every day, and every single minor illness (cold, sore throat etc), would absolutely floor me for weeks). People don't always get it to that severity, but it's a debilitating long term illness, and a couple of weeks rest isn't going to make much difference.

It's colloquially called the kissing disease. What can I say? I was single. She was gorgeous........

It's colloquially called the kissing disease. What can I say? I was single. She was gorgeous........

Should have kept your box on.

avsd

Guru
He is a legend with nothing left to prove but I hope is stubbornness kicks in an he ends in a winning manner,

Like everyone else I wish him every happiness and good health and hope we see him in the tour again.

Top Bottom