Cavity Wall Insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
I don't know if my walls even have cavities to be insulated :blush:

Would an inspector do many calls where they turn up and find out the householder is stupid for not realising that their house isn't suitable?

The wall ties thing is interesting as I've got some internal cracks that need investigating.

Look at the bricks. If they all look full length without half-bricks then your wall is probably cavity*. If there are half-bricks every so often it won't be.

* but not definitely. Some houses, usually Edwardian or earlier IME had two skins of brick with no gap. Very many of these have started to delaminate and the outer skin then has to be removed and rebuilt.

U

User482

You should try the Governments 'Warmfront' scheme.

Whether it has/will survive the cuts is debatable, but if you fit the criteria you can have lots of things done for free.

Warm Front has been scrapped.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We are having it done at the end of the month. £250 or something close (less I think) after the grant comes through (£400 ish !!! ). Local company does pellets (polystyrene type) which are blown in with small amount of glue - so they never settle and water doesn't penetrate. Blowing mineral fibres in can result in settling and if something does fall into the cavity they get compressed. My neighbour has a cold patch for that reason. Company does all the paperwork for the grant too. Money well spent methinks.

Top Bottom