cavity wall insulation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buddha

Veteran
Had the house (3 bed semi) done 2 months ago.
Which effectively cost me only £150 (£250 charge - £100 rebate off January's council tax - though this may be a london only thing)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bonj said:
just stuff it down between 'em.

I would be interested to hear how you propose doing this without having to remove the roof first ??

Haitch

Flim Flormally
airbricks are there for a purpose. Won't cavity wall insulation stop them working?

The guys who did ours said the foam breathed, but they put in some extra vents (two or three, about the size of half a brick in length) just to be on the safe side. The insulation was not fibreglass, by the way, but a foam that was injected into the cavity under high pressure.

Saddle bum

Über Member
We are having it done next Friday. £500, but we only pay £100, council pays the rest.

Same applies (I think) to having the loft insulated, which we will have done next.

Now going to see if solar panels are an option.

Before we start......

Are you sure that you don't have a thin layer of insulation, probably against the inner leaf of the wall...?

What are your wall ties made out of? (Stainless good, galvanised not good). If you stick in a foam that expands bear in mind that it can exert a hefty force - if you've seen a nine foot high double-glazed timber screen get lifted by unconfined expanding foam, you'll have some idea.

Do the walls get saturated with water?

Generally speaking I'd recommend Warmcel, but the key thing is to get a firm in that will survey the house and give you a guarantee with an indemnity policy that is backed by a reputable manufacturer. Rockwool might be a good place to start.

And please, please, please don't mess with fibreglass (I think you might mean glass wool). It takes up residence in your lungs.

For loft insulation I'd defiinitely go for Warmcel, and certainly not for mineral (rock) or glass wool.

bonj2

How is filling the cavity between two solid brick walls anything in the slightest like plastering??

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I would be interested to hear how you propose doing this without having to remove the roof first ??

alright, if simon L reckons fibreglass harms you like asbestos then don't use it. But you could use polystyrene. That'd be just as good, if not better. And it'd be easier to put in. Just get a load of bean-bag beans and put them in the hoover, having reversed the wires on the motor so it blows instead of sucks, quick bit of cutting and re-soldering, shouldn't be hard.
Then just knock out ONE brick by carefully chiselling round the mortar, and when you've got a decent sized crack all round give it a whack with lump hammer, and out she pops. Then just put the hoover pipe in, and switch it on. Refill the bag, and repeat. And repeat. And repeat. It'll take quite a few goes - only problem is it could get boring. You could get your kids to help you while you make a cup of tea.

A word of warning though with bean bag beans: DON'T open the bag till you're ready to use them and have got them constrained (e.g. don't just rip the bag open - do it carefully) - they run everywhere as they are perfectly spherical and frictionless , they literally flow like a liquid. However, this should be a good thing for their ability to fill the cavity up completely.

*Just remember to put it back before your wife tries to hoover the floor ;).

bonj said:
alright, if simon L reckons fibreglass harms you like asbestos then don't use it. But you could use polystyrene. That'd be just as good, if not better. And it'd be easier to put in. Just get a load of bean-bag beans and put them in the hoover, having reversed the wires on the motor so it blows instead of sucks, quick bit of cutting and re-soldering, shouldn't be hard.
Then just knock out ONE brick by carefully chiselling round the mortar, and when you've got a decent sized crack all round give it a whack with lump hammer, and out she pops. Then just put the hoover pipe in, and switch it on. Refill the bag, and repeat. And repeat. And repeat. It'll take quite a few goes - only problem is it could get boring. You could get your kids to help you while you make a cup of tea.

A word of warning though with bean bag beans: DON'T open the bag till you're ready to use them and have got them constrained (e.g. don't just rip the bag open - do it carefully) - they run everywhere as they are perfectly spherical and frictionless , they literally flow like a liquid. However, this should be a good thing for their ability to fill the cavity up completely.

*Just remember to put it back before your wife tries to hoover the floor :rolleyes:.
Oh god. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Never grow up Bonj. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom