Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond CC Ecosse 2017 tour of Mull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Don't know why I didn't get an alert when you tagged me - anyway I can't make it. Hope you all have a lovely time. Look forward to the trip reports in June!

Slick

Guru
Ok, latest: we are 4 girls leaving from Greenock maybe 5 if @Turdus philomelos can make it.
We will be doing this:

Fiona and Pat will take the train from Glasgow to Greenock.
Cycle from Greenock to Gourock one mile down the road to take ferry to Dunoon.
From Dunoon we cycle 45 miles and take 2 ferries until Lochgilphead, where we stay overnight.
Then we cycle 40 miles to Oban, where we will take the ferry to Mull, this ferry lands in Craignure. From there we will cycle 20 miles to Tobermory, where we will stay until the Monday (check out), then do it all again in reverse!
We leave from Greenock/Gourock on Thursday 15 June 2017.
On Mull, we tour the island, routes to be arranged still: Fiona already did the routes from the start, I will put them here once I get them, so you can put them in your satnav if you like.
We will never split, we will go at the pace of the slowest (me lol) and we may walk the occasional hill ^_^

I have now got an email back from the resort I prefer, but they are not available for the 3 days, their prices are a bit dear anyway: there was still spaces left at the Youth Hostel in Tobemory, so that would be my next choice, but the men need to confirm asp if they want to come or we might have to split.
Hi Pat, that is my part of the world, or it was. Greenock to Dunoon is no problem, Dunoon to Portavadie can be nice, but Tarbert to Lochgilphead will require care as it's a well used timber route, as is Lochgilphead to Oban. Fair play to you tackling that road, a pretty tough 36 miles if you ask me. (which I know you didn't) Where are you intending to stay in Lochgilphead? I may have a suggestion if you don't mind a mile or two south.

flyingfifi

Über Member
Hi Pat, that is my part of the world, or it was. Greenock to Dunoon is no problem, Dunoon to Portavadie can be nice, but Tarbert to Lochgilphead will require care as it's a well used timber route, as is Lochgilphead to Oban. Fair play to you tackling that road, a pretty tough 36 miles if you ask me. (which I know you didn't) Where are you intending to stay in Lochgilphead? I may have a suggestion if you don't mind a mile or two south.
do not mention timber to me I should know I was hit by a log lorry the twat lol:gun: between oban to lochgilphead .am booking the accommodation that would been helpful :notworthy: and Pat am doing the leading all the way up I,ve done route out I on my new garmin :bicycle:if I leve it to you we got lost in a paper bag :tongue:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was thinking that myself! If I was going, I think I would be keeping it simple and taking the train to Oban, ferry to Mull, and doing more cycling on Mull.

flyingfifi

Über Member
https://independenthostels.co.uk/members/argyllbackpackers/

I'm not entirely sure on cost, but this is new and is run by 2 females keen to succeed. It's about 3 miles south of Lochgilphead and should see you all right. Oban is much easier for accommodation but I would recommend the youth hostel on the sea front as that was completely renovated a couple of years back.
Thanks i give a try tomorrow the link does not on my tablet very well:girldance:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
but Tarbert to Lochgilphead will require care as it's a well used timber route, as is Lochgilphead to Oban. Fair play to you tackling that road, a pretty tough 36 miles if you ask me.
Greetings :notworthy:
@flyingfifi and I cycled the old route 74 last year, lots of log lorries!
A bit scary, true. I will update my will before I go ^_^
Regarding the tough 36 miles, I have complete faith in Fiona's routing abilities: every time she makes a route, it's doable even for Pat 5mph.
Anyhow, cannae be worse then the Kirkstone Pass was, I had to walk most of it :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
" Ambleside " self catering is 21 miles from Craignure ferry terminal overlooking the cemetery at the top of Aes Brae in Tobermory. The Mull Sportif if you like that sort of thing is on Sunday 4th June this year.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

" Ambleside " self catering is 21 miles from Craignure ferry terminal overlooking the cemetery at the top of Aes Brae in Tobermory. The Mull Sportif if you like that sort of thing is on Sunday 4th June this year.
Them from Ambleside self catering don't do 3 overnights, only 2 or the full week, I did enquire.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Possibly interested , but same as last year, I'm not sure where I'll be in June.
Hopefully in better shape than this :surrender:
Och aye, by June you will be able to join us in Mull on the Saturday, having ridden from Glasgow overnight, then going round the island and heading back home. This is a fact! :okay:

flyingfifi

Über Member
Och aye, by June you will be able to join us in Mull on the Saturday, having ridden from Glasgow overnight, then going round the island and heading back home. This is a fact! :okay:
we can,t do all the lsle of mull in one day its about 120miles:cycle: around trip and 56 miles to fionnphort one way before we get to Iona :bicycle:

Top Bottom