Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse Perth Ride - Sat 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Afternoon all! What are youse arguing about now??? ;)
A wee bit of getting lost, a wee bit of waiting for the ladies, a wee bit of getting soaked puffing up hills ... it's all in a day's great ride!
The Belles and I had a fantastic time! Btw, there where 3 CC Belles on the ride: me, @shyfire and @Gee_Dee the latter really exceeded herself, given she came along for the fun, not for training for a big event like other Belles nor for gatecrashing like me :biggrin:
Poor Gary the driver overestimated his abilities, think I will invite him to our next girls gentle 5 mile poodle in the park :laugh:
There was some hilarious moments, like when Geraldine fell into the ditch just after the water stream, collapsing into a fit of hysterical laughs apparently brought on by starvation.
Or when I stopped to wait for Gary, got a phone call from @Fubar (think it was him anyway) saying his group was now lost, so I just stopped a random cyclist asking him to tell my caller where I was. I could hear the poor guy on the phone ...nononono cycle chat, was just cycling along, this lovely lady (me :biggrin:) asked for help ... :wacko:
Due to my newly acquired Garmin I was not worried about missing a turn, the best gadget to spend money on if out on unknown roads.
Back in Glasgow, just me and @jim55 left, heading home (we stay in the same area) I caused him a clipless moment due to stopping abruptly: his fault, I say, he should keep his distance :tongue:
It was good matching faces to forum names, a great bunch of helpful and considered folks these Ecosse cycle chatters.
Would have loved to spend more time with @Telemark (purveyor of the most delicious home baking!), during the short time we rode together she did teach me a some useful cycling techniques I would normally not have the chance to learn as I'm mostly an utilitarian cyclist.
I am aware of having slowed down the group with my girls, apologize for this, was mislead a bit by the OP. Well, never knew @TechMech is 7 feet tall, one turn of the crank equals a mile for him!
You and @HJ have been real gentlemen :smooch:thank you from us Belles, true to the CC motto, nobody got left behind.
Highlight of the day for me? The @Scoosh mobile! What a cool ride that is!
Loads of pictures from the day here Ciaoooooo!

Great photos, Pat! (well, at least the ones I'm not in :crazy:)
Your username will forevermore be known to be a complete lie, 5mph my foot!

Fubar

Guru
Thanks everybody for your company on the ride, it was really good to catch up with so many of the original CC Ecosse crowd from when it all started :hugs:. Those that couldn't make it, maybe next time? Finally meeting all the newer lot was great, Col, Fubar, Pat, HarryPalmer and Rasmus etc who I've been reading about on here for ages, but never been on a ride with :thumbsup: ... and all the newbies including the Belles, quite a few of whom have never been on a CC Ecosse ride before :wahhey:. I hope we/the weather haven't put you off coming along again, after throwing all that wind, the rain showers and "flatness":rolleyes: at you!

Not sure where the perception that the route was "flat" came from, it's one of the less hilly routes we've done, but I don't recall seeing it advertised as flat, short or easy ... Luckily the meandering nature of the route meant that the wind was in our faces only for limited amounts of time, and then we were flying along with a tailwind again (which I rather enjoyed :dance:), and the rain was only really short showers rather than anything else.

I hope the Belles' van driver was OK about waiting around, and that he might be getting into training for cycling and happy to come along again? He might have been thinking along the lines of "How difficult can it be to keep up with a bunch of Belles on a wee bike ride?" ... :whistle:

Things to think about for future rides with larger groups of mixed ability:
* have a mid-way stop for food (and a post-ride cafe option for those who want/need more cake :hungry: and chat)
* have different escape options, so we can cut short if required due to weather, mechanicals etc. (the shortcut was excellent yesterday, saved quite a few miles of headwind for those who had enough of that already or wanted to be first in the queue for cake :thumbsup:!)
* assign people to smaller groups with a couple of more experienced riders who know the route and can lead/shepherd at the back, with groups then staying together until the mid-way stop (so we don't loose anybody accidentally :blush:)
* anything else I've forgotten?:scratch:

What's next :hyper: ? East Lothian anybody?
Frequent trains through the central belt on Saturdays (every 15-30 min depending on your local stations) would make bikes on trains less of an issue ...
Or maybe around Linlithgow/West Lothian - we had a couple of shorter (30-45km) routes there that were nice quiet back roads ...

T

Perhaps also everyone to take note of the mobile numbers posted, so they can inform the group if/when lost, dropped or having a mechanical. Myself, @Louch and @mr messy tried to find the van driver then got dropped ourselves! Thankfully @Pat"5mph" accosted a passer by!

BUT, I do think its unfair to apportion any blame - its an open ride, we are not a club and everyone does their upmost to make sure newbies are ok. Everyone I spoke to really enjoyed it, they all had big smiles when they finished (except me after 105 miles!) and I think some of the comments are a bit unfair really.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I had written up something similar, but not as well written as your reply mark. Nothing was done maliciously, and colin, pat and myself had given out phone numbers for use. yesterday's numbers where not the norm, and we have no captains on the good ship cycle chat. From our Glasgow mentals, fife flyers( with clacks division) amd the new abundance of Belles I think it ended with far more positives than negatives.

And I must say that cake at the mini busses was just sublime

jim55

Guru
I was more thinking in and around the Campsies with maybe an option of a "Tak" bonus stage for the very brave.....;)

EDIT : For Rasmus! ^_^
yeah ,thatd b my thinking as well,we done a wee loop and the other group broke away in front of us off and done the crow and back down by the time we were passing through lennoxtown and then we all continued into milngavie ,down maryhill rd and back to town think it was in the region of 20 mls and pretty flat/easy (apart from the crow obv )
it wouldnt b ideal for those further away i wouldnt think but for those glasgow based itd b ideal

Fubar

Guru
Afternoon all! What are youse arguing about now??? ;)
A wee bit of getting lost, a wee bit of waiting for the ladies, a wee bit of getting soaked puffing up hills ... it's all in a day's great ride!
The Belles and I had a fantastic time! Btw, there where 3 CC Belles on the ride: me, @shyfire and @Gee_Dee the latter really exceeded herself, given she came along for the fun, not for training for a big event like other Belles nor for gatecrashing like me :biggrin:
Poor Gary the driver overestimated his abilities, think I will invite him to our next girls gentle 5 mile poodle in the park :laugh:
There was some hilarious moments, like when Geraldine fell into the ditch just after the water stream, collapsing into a fit of hysterical laughs apparently brought on by starvation.
Or when I stopped to wait for Gary, got a phone call from @Fubar (think it was him anyway) saying his group was now lost, so I just stopped a random cyclist asking him to tell my caller where I was. I could hear the poor guy on the phone ...nononono cycle chat, was just cycling along, this lovely lady (me :biggrin:) asked for help ... :wacko:
Due to my newly acquired Garmin I was not worried about missing a turn, the best gadget to spend money on if out on unknown roads.
Back in Glasgow, just me and @jim55 left, heading home (we stay in the same area) I caused him a clipless moment due to stopping abruptly: his fault, I say, he should keep his distance :tongue:
It was good matching faces to forum names, a great bunch of helpful and considered folks these Ecosse cycle chatters.
Would have loved to spend more time with @Telemark (purveyor of the most delicious home baking!), during the short time we rode together she did teach me a some useful cycling techniques I would normally not have the chance to learn as I'm mostly an utilitarian cyclist.
I am aware of having slowed down the group with my girls, apologize for this, was mislead a bit by the OP. Well, never knew @TechMech is 7 feet tall, one turn of the crank equals a mile for him!
You and @HJ have been real gentlemen :smooch:thank you from us Belles, true to the CC motto, nobody got left behind.
Highlight of the day for me? The @Scoosh mobile! What a cool ride that is!

Ha ha, I'll never forget you shouting "I hate EVERYONE!!!" yesterday at Little
Glenshee ;)

Pat "5mph"

Some of the girls are training for big charity rides: it's good they had an eyeopening on what could befall them.
Other Belles (there are 245 of us to date) also ride with the Glasgow Green racing club on road bikes, and I did advertise the Perth route as a blue one (hard).
I know my "tank" bikes (the one I was on yesterday is almost 2 stone, weighted it for Strava purposes) plus my age will always put me at a disadvantage on a mixed sex ride, still great fun imo plus the chance to explore new routes.
Will put an effort to train harder on hills! Maybe on day will also have the guts to try a road bike :ph34r: :B)

Gee_Dee

Some of the girls are training for big charity rides: it's good they had an eyeopening on what could befall them.
Absolutely: charity riders need to prepare for anything, which will make them appreciate and enjoy good weather all the more:smile:
You must try a road bike, especially in rides where speed and agility are advantageous to the ride. They are SO much lighter than other bike that it'll make previous rides seem like a doddle..

Thanks everybody for your company on the ride, it was really good to catch up with so many of the original CC Ecosse crowd from when it all started :hugs:. Those that couldn't make it, maybe next time? Finally meeting all the newer lot was great, Col, Fubar, Pat, HarryPalmer and Rasmus etc who I've been reading about on here for ages, but never been on a ride with :thumbsup: ... and all the newbies including the Belles, quite a few of whom have never been on a CC Ecosse ride before :wahhey:. I hope we/the weather haven't put you off coming along again, after throwing all that wind, the rain showers and "flatness":rolleyes: at you!

Not sure where the perception that the route was "flat" came from, it's one of the less hilly routes we've done, but I don't recall seeing it advertised as flat, short or easy ... Luckily the meandering nature of the route meant that the wind was in our faces only for limited amounts of time, and then we were flying along with a tailwind again (which I rather enjoyed :dance:), and the rain was only really short showers rather than anything else.

I hope the Belles' van driver was OK about waiting around, and that he might be getting into training for cycling and happy to come along again? He might have been thinking along the lines of "How difficult can it be to keep up with a bunch of Belles on a wee bike ride?" ... :whistle:

Things to think about for future rides with larger groups of mixed ability:
* have a mid-way stop for food (and a post-ride cafe option for those who want/need more cake :hungry: and chat)
* have different escape options, so we can cut short if required due to weather, mechanicals etc. (the shortcut was excellent yesterday, saved quite a few miles of headwind for those who had enough of that already or wanted to be first in the queue for cake :thumbsup:!)
* assign people to smaller groups with a couple of more experienced riders who know the route and can lead/shepherd at the back, with groups then staying together until the mid-way stop (so we don't loose anybody accidentally :blush:)
* anything else I've forgotten?:scratch:

What's next :hyper: ? East Lothian anybody?
Frequent trains through the central belt on Saturdays (every 15-30 min depending on your local stations) would make bikes on trains less of an issue ...
Or maybe around Linlithgow/West Lothian - we had a couple of shorter (30-45km) routes there that were nice quiet back roads ...

T

I nominate you as leader to the cyclechat eccose sub-division "cc riders" (cake club riders) :smooch:
Baking was truly delicious and it wasn't me asking for seconds....honest! :shy::blush:

Absolutely: charity riders need to prepare for anything, which will make them appreciate and enjoy good weather all the more:smile:
You must try a road bike, especially in rides where speed and agility are advantageous to the ride. They are SO much lighter than other bike that it'll make previous rides seem like a doddle..

This is why I think I need to get a big slow lump of a bike in order to improve my fitness. As I helped unload the van at Glasgow I think my bike was the lightest of all...!

shyfire

Perhaps we should also remember that this was always a CC Ecosse Forum Ride, to which the Belles were an addition - albeit a very Welcome :welcome: one. As a CCE Forum ride, it was 'what it said on the tin' - no more, no less. Yes, perhaps it was a tad more advanced than the Belles were up for (but most of them to whom I spoke had done harder rides in the past when they were much fitter, so the concept was not difficult for them to understand). So, as a Belle and a CC Member - @shyfire - what did you make of it ?

Any ride is a potential 'victim' to the weather - but 'the ride is the ride', whatever the weather :unsure:.

I joined the ride before it was put on the Belle's forum so my expectation was based on the description on the CC forum. I wasn't expecting totally flat since I had looked at the elevation on the map. The 'lump' up to Little GlenShee was a long drag and felt hillier than expected but wind resistance, a soft rear tyre and no fuel since 7am were my gremlins and maybe contributed to some tongue in check remarks & grumpiness at the top til I got some gels down me. By 'suitable for beginners' I interpreted that as someone who had been cycling for a while but was starting out on longer organised group rides. For the Belles it was clearly listed as a Blue ride for those used to doing longer rides and the fact that we all made it round (could have gone longer?) demonstrated that everyone had the stamina to go the distance just at different speeds. That I know (from former jogleading days) is when things start to get complicated as people get strung out along the course and stops for regrouping get longer and longer. So from that perspective comments about future rides with large groups of mixed ability are good suggestions.

Pat "5mph"

This is why I think I need to get a big slow lump of a bike in order to improve my fitness. As I helped unload the van at Glasgow I think my bike was the lightest of all...!
You're welcome to train on my avatar bike, Mrs. Doubtfire.
It weights 3 stone (really!) singlespeed. Done about 45 miles on her the other day, great workout :biggrin:

Top Bottom