Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse Perth Ride - Sat 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
RESPECT Sir !

... and "Are you NUTS ???" :laugh:

Most definitely! Found my limit and what lies beyond....not pretty! :tongue:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
So how I am feeling today..

Take the L from my surname and you have a really good idea. Just weighed myself and despite eating A Hamburger supper when I got home,I am still close to a stone lighter than when I left the house yesterday. What I thought was a blister on my left hand feels more like I have done something to a nerve now and getting some pins and needles.

So given that, I have one question only......where next? :biggrin:

Take the L from my surname and you have a really good idea. Just weighed myself and despite eating A Hamburger supper when I got home,I am still close to a stone lighter than when I left the house yesterday. What I thought was a blister on my left hand feels more like I have done something to a nerve now and getting some pins and needles.

Just weighed myself and i've GAINED 2lb since yesterday.....:wacko:

MikeW-71

Veteran

Clockhammer and I have a route from Langholm that may be of interest :biggrin:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Just weighed myself and i've GAINED 2lb since yesterday.....:wacko:
On top of the tesco weight you lost, that's some serious gains!

TechMech

really good day and turnout ,bit windy though ,but can i say on behalf of the people who wont say it ,this was not"pan flat"as promised,this was too much for a "beginners" ride ,(unless said beginner can maintain 16mph+ and put in a bit of effort that wasnt mentioned (over 40 ml),misleading if u ask me ,granted it wasnt really bad but it wasnt as said,well done to all who were there and made it round

I don't know who told everyone this route was flat, as the Belles kept saying this to me as well. I think that the exert that Scoosh posted from the first post is misleading, as I don't agree that it's mostly flat, and nor should it be aimed at beginners. Beginners should be taking on 20 mile routes not 45 milers, I should know as I struggled on the first CC ride I did at Linlithgow back in 2009 and held everyone up myself and that was only 23 miles.

I thought it was a bit of a shambles yesterday as we formed no real groups, and we were spread out all down the road for miles. Folks got dropped and lost, and no one really knew where everyone was and I took a lot of time up looking for people. We need to think about organising better if we're going to do such a big ride in the future.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I don't know who told everyone this route was flat, as the Belles kept saying this to me as well. I think that the exert that Scoosh posted from the first post is misleading, as I don't agree that it's mostly flat, and nor should it be aimed at beginners. Beginners should be taking on 20 mile routes not 45 milers, I should know as I struggled on the first CC ride I did at Linlithgow back in 2009 and held everyone up myself and that was only 23 miles.

I thought it was a bit of a shambles yesterday as we formed no real groups, and we were spread out all down the road for miles. Folks got dropped and lost, and no one really knew where everyone was and I took a lot of time up looking for people. We need to think about organising better if we're going to do such a big ride in the future.

Oddly I was think of that Linlithgow yesterday, only I didn't need to shepherd you up the hills this time ;-)

Yesterdays ride was a bit of a big ask for beginners, and the weather really didn't help. With beginner rides there needs to be a cake stop in the middle rather than at the end, if you have that then the distance is do able (although challenging). Having the option of shortening the ride if the weather turns bad is also useful.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks everybody for your company on the ride, it was really good to catch up with so many of the original CC Ecosse crowd from when it all started :hugs:. Those that couldn't make it, maybe next time? Finally meeting all the newer lot was great, Col, Fubar, Pat, HarryPalmer and Rasmus etc who I've been reading about on here for ages, but never been on a ride with :thumbsup: ... and all the newbies including the Belles, quite a few of whom have never been on a CC Ecosse ride before :wahhey:. I hope we/the weather haven't put you off coming along again, after throwing all that wind, the rain showers and "flatness":rolleyes: at you!

Not sure where the perception that the route was "flat" came from, it's one of the less hilly routes we've done, but I don't recall seeing it advertised as flat, short or easy ... Luckily the meandering nature of the route meant that the wind was in our faces only for limited amounts of time, and then we were flying along with a tailwind again (which I rather enjoyed :dance:), and the rain was only really short showers rather than anything else.

I hope the Belles' van driver was OK about waiting around, and that he might be getting into training for cycling and happy to come along again? He might have been thinking along the lines of "How difficult can it be to keep up with a bunch of Belles on a wee bike ride?" ... :whistle:

Things to think about for future rides with larger groups of mixed ability:
* have a mid-way stop for food (and a post-ride cafe option for those who want/need more cake :hungry: and chat)
* have different escape options, so we can cut short if required due to weather, mechanicals etc. (the shortcut was excellent yesterday, saved quite a few miles of headwind for those who had enough of that already or wanted to be first in the queue for cake :thumbsup:!)
* assign people to smaller groups with a couple of more experienced riders who know the route and can lead/shepherd at the back, with groups then staying together until the mid-way stop (so we don't loose anybody accidentally :blush:)
* anything else I've forgotten?:scratch:

What's next :hyper: ? East Lothian anybody?
Frequent trains through the central belt on Saturdays (every 15-30 min depending on your local stations) would make bikes on trains less of an issue ...
Or maybe around Linlithgow/West Lothian - we had a couple of shorter (30-45km) routes there that were nice quiet back roads ...

T

Top Bottom