Scotland : Perthshire CC Ecosse Perth Ride - Sat 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I believe that was @Scoosh. It is of course total nonsense...

the proper term should be "excline". It is latin, after all.

shame.gif

scook94

Veteran
This is a key for CC Ecosse Forum Rides - they are intended to be sociable. The faster, fitter, stronger, more experienced riders get a chance to assist and encourage those who are not as fast, fit etc. It's by riding alongside and chatting that we make friends, learn more about the types of cycling we do, the experienced people pass on riding/maintenance tips [n+1 ... :whistle: ] to those with less experience and we develop the CC Ecosse 'ethos' amongst the new people, so they can pass it on as they gain experience themselves etc.

I even remember Scook94's first ride - it was this same Perth one - and he didn't even have a Rapha jersey !!! :eek: He came to more rides, got the bug** hooked - and look at him now ! Matching jersey, shorts, socks and bike (Ti, of course :wub:) . Now that is what we want - the desire for stylistic and practical perfection !

** please excuse the slightly inappropriate choice of words ... :blush:

Indeed, it's a slippery slope once you become a regular on CC Rides!

I have one word of advice, if you're ever out on a CC ride and you hear mentioned in hushed whispers the words "Snow Roads", then perform a hasty 180 and pedal for home as fast as you can! Otherwise, you'll end up huddled in bus shelters, soaked to the bone, freezing cold :cold: at 4 in the morning while out chasing your SR (Super Randonneur)! (And loving every second of it!) :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, CC Rides are where I learnt everything I know about cycling, mostly thanks to @Scoosh @HJ and @HLaB, and it's what turned me into the mad audaxer I was last year! I'll be forever grateful! :cheers:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@Scoosh can perhaps be forgiven for not knowing what the correct terminology is, given that he went so fast on that 'bent, that he probably didn't even notice the descents :smile:

Descents (exclines ?? :whistle:) are fun, fun, fun on a 'bent ! :hyper: Speed is limited more by rider confidence :eek: than aerodynamics.

Inclines are another matter entirely, though; the limiting factor is 'how slow can you go, without falling off' - especially if there is a tight turn**, as there is a lot of heel-strike.

**just like at the start of the climb after the ford - I was too far over to the left of the road and had to stop, re-position, then hill-start to get going again. [bragging mode: I did surprise myself by then climbing to the top with little trouble, even overtaking the "I'm choosing to walk-ers" :wahhey: , as I suggested they call themselves ;) ]

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Indeed, it's a slippery slope once you become a regular on CC Rides!

I have one word of advice, if you're ever out on a CC ride and you hear mentioned in hushed whispers the words "Snow Roads", then perform a hasty 180 and pedal for home as fast as you can! Otherwise, you'll end up huddled in bus shelters, soaked to the bone, freezing cold :cold: at 4 in the morning while out chasing your SR (Super Randonneur)! (And loving every second of it!) :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, CC Rides are where I learnt everything I know about cycling, mostly thanks to @Scoosh @HJ and @HLaB, and it's what turned me into the mad audaxer I was last year! I'll be forever grateful! :cheers:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: - LOVE this one !!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Afternoon all! What are youse arguing about now??? ;)
Would have loved to spend more time with @Telemark (purveyor of the most delicious home baking!), during the short time we rode together she did teach me a some useful cycling techniques I would normally not have the chance to learn as I'm mostly an utilitarian cyclist.
I am aware of having slowed down the group with my girls, apologize for this, was mislead a bit by the OP. Well, never knew @TechMech is 7 feet tall, one turn of the crank equals a mile for him!

Next time, Pat... we'll get you to change your username yet :thumbsup: ...
No need to apologise - I don't think you and the Belles slowed us down a lot, just enough to stop the boys racing each other and getting into trouble as they normally do, when it's boys only :tongue: ... clearly the female influence worked wonders :girl: ...
What's this about Geraldine falling into a ditch, though? :ohmy:
This was definitely the CC Ecosse ride with the most ladies EVER (absolute & relative), the only one that came close (in relative terms) was a wee jaunt to the Gladhouse Reservoir in Midlothian a couple of years ago, when there were only three of us, Scoosh, Scook94 and me ... 1/3 female rider(s):thanks: .

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Perhaps also everyone to take note of the mobile numbers posted, so they can inform the group if/when lost, dropped or having a mechanical. Myself, @Louch and @mr messy tried to find the van driver then got dropped ourselves! Thankfully @Pat"5mph" accosted a passer by!

BUT, I do think its unfair to apportion any blame - its an open ride, we are not a club and everyone does their upmost to make sure newbies are ok. Everyone I spoke to really enjoyed it, they all had big smiles when they finished (except me after 105 miles!) and I think some of the comments are a bit unfair really.

Good idea ... must spend an extra minute or two at the start making sure everybody has at least one mobile number of one of the core people who know the route/surroundings ... it wouldn't be nice to get lost in an unfamiliar area, especially if you don't have a map or GPS and/or are really tired (just saying, it hasn't happened yet on a CC Ecosse ride, as far as I know :scratch:) .

I fully agree, the CC Ecosse ethos is very much that we all take responsibility for ourselves, but everybody will do their best to make newbies welcome and help out in any way they can ... :cheers:

AND ... congratulations on your imperial ton! :bravo: Whatever next ... :whistle: it's a slippery slope... just ask Scoosh, Scook94, GlasgowJim (is he still on CC?) etc...

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Some of the girls are training for big charity rides: it's good they had an eyeopening on what could befall them.
Other Belles (there are 245 of us to date) also ride with the Glasgow Green racing club on road bikes, and I did advertise the Perth route as a blue one (hard).
I know my "tank" bikes (the one I was on yesterday is almost 2 stone, weighted it for Strava purposes) plus my age will always put me at a disadvantage on a mixed sex ride, still great fun imo plus the chance to explore new routes.
Will put an effort to train harder on hills! Maybe on day will also have the guts to try a road bike :ph34r: :B)

There are 245 of you ?????????? :hello: :surrender: @Pat, you must to have an inexhaustible supply of energy - and given your "tank" with all its 7 gears you didn't seem at a big disadvantage that I could see, you were attacking each hill and racing up them as fast as you could ... OK, the racing snakes are a different breed, but they seem to quite like the social aspect of the CC rides, otherwise they wouldn't keep coming back for more :hugs: (and they can tire themselves out during their pre- and post-ride extra miles ;), doing silly things like cycling all the way to/from Dunfermline or Glasgow :eek::biggrin: )

Fubar

Guru
Good idea ... must spend an extra minute or two at the start making sure everybody has at least one mobile number of one of the core people who know the route/surroundings ... it wouldn't be nice to get lost in an unfamiliar area, especially if you don't have a map or GPS and/or are really tired (just saying, it hasn't happened yet on a CC Ecosse ride, as far as I know :scratch:) .

I fully agree, the CC Ecosse ethos is very much that we all take responsibility for ourselves, but everybody will do their best to make newbies welcome and help out in any way they can ... :cheers:

AND ... congratulations on your imperial ton! :bravo: Whatever next ... :whistle: it's a slippery slope... just ask Scoosh, Scook94, GlasgowJim (is he still on CC?) etc...

T

I was thinking today, you know 200k is only another 30k on top of what I did yesterday...

Fubar

Guru
There is a pretty big difference between mostly flat and "but flat" as far as the cc rides i have been on its defo one the flatter rides we do, I think if you are in any doubt of how hilly a ride will be and if you could make it or not should be to look at the elevation graph.

Yesterday was difficult as we had all mixture of abilities and some of which i had no idea of what they were capable of, didnt want to put people in the 'slower' group to go ahead when they were clearly faster than the slower group etc

We have never had that many people turn up to one ride so that was a new challenge altogether, from what i seen yesterday everybody enjoyed themselves and managed the ride without any real problems so i think some of the comments are a little unfair,one of the belles even told me she had done 1,000 miles in 9 weeks (i havent even done that lol), if anybody wants to suggest a ride, feel free to post up the ride with a date and see how many people turn up, nothing saying we need to have a ride every month, that way we could atleast try most suggestions.

There have been CC rides recently when 3 of us turned up so 25 odd is a lot to deal with, and its easy to be critical the day AFTER an event - I'm sure we could do it better next time, but its not as if everyone paid £60 for organisation, feed stations, broomwagons, etc.

Everyone appreciates the rides being posted @Col5632 for getting us out there, if they are not happy - post their own and organise it their way!

Keep the faith, brother.

Noodley

Sounds as if you nobbers need someone with a degree of "not pi55ing about" to sort you all oot! Nae point moaning and greetin' efter the event...get yersel's sorted.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
What's this about Geraldine falling into a ditch, though? :ohmy:
You missed that! It was hilarious, Geraldine fell into the ditch after the little Glenshee stram, was having laughing fits while Donna kept taking pictures of her with the bike on top. In the meantime Ross (@Harry_Palmer79 ) looked on astonished saying "what's this on CC Ecosse rides and Triban3's falling in ditches??) he had a much sorer fall on his 3 at the last ride.

There are 245 of you ?????????? :hello: :surrender: @Pat, you must to have an inexhaustible supply of energy - and given your "tank" with all its 7 gears

All the Belles to date here
I think Victoria Leiper, the founder, is looking to start a Belles group in Edinbourgh, maybe you can help her.
My tank actually only has 5 speed, 4 only working, as it needs a new freewheel - waiting for the chain to go as well before renewals:laugh:

There is a pretty big difference between mostly flat and "but flat" as far as the cc rides i have been on its defo one the flatter rides we do, I think if you are in any doubt of how hilly a ride will be and if you could make it or not should be to look at the elevation graph.

Yesterday was difficult as we had all mixture of abilities and some of which i had no idea of what they were capable of, didnt want to put people in the 'slower' group to go ahead when they were clearly faster than the slower group etc

We have never had that many people turn up to one ride so that was a new challenge altogether, from what i seen yesterday everybody enjoyed themselves and managed the ride without any real problems so i think some of the comments are a little unfair,one of the belles even told me she had done 1,000 miles in 9 weeks (i havent even done that lol), if anybody wants to suggest a ride, feel free to post up the ride with a date and see how many people turn up, nothing saying we need to have a ride every month, that way we could atleast try most suggestions.

Think it's fair to say the majority were enthusiastic (including myself) rather than experienced clubrun cyclists. Only to be expected things wouldn't go rigidly to plan....part of the fun!:laugh:
Still doesn't excuse showing up with those tan lines tho.....:headshake::tongue:

scook94

Veteran
Think it's fair to say the majority were enthusiastic (including myself) rather than experienced clubrun cyclists. Only to be expected things wouldn't go rigidly to plan....part of the fun!:laugh:
Still doesn't excuse showing up with those tan lines tho.....:headshake::tongue:

Ah yes, the breaking of CC Rules can be forgiven, post event. However breaking of The Velominati Rules is unforgivable! I'm looking at you @Col5632 Rule #7

Top Bottom